Lots of elements to balance

I think the snare still has too much yucky reverb on it. Atound 3:10-3:30 the song kind of loses it's focus - the violin/cello sound disappears, and it's like the rest of the instruments are waiting for someone to take charge and do something meaningful they can get behind.

I think the snare still has too much yucky reverb on it.

I thing the snare sounds great.

Around 3:10-3:30 the song kind of loses its focus - the violin/cello sound disappears, and it's like the rest of the instruments are waiting for someone to take charge and do something meaningful they can get behind.

It's not losing focus, it's exploring other flavors and whetting your appetite for more throcking later on. What surprises is that there's just a brief burst of it right at the end. It's a bit of a wow, an interesting ending. This guy's good.

I get that that's what you're hearing, but your own mixes don't come close to this in either performance standard or sound. Maybe it's because you don't recognize good snare sound and good arrangement when you hear it? Go on, prove me wrong. Your mixes are getting better. Continue to do that.

I agree with others here about the bass missing low frequencies, disappearing in spots. Have you tried using a hi pass on the guitars starting at 30htz then increasing until you find the sweet spot. Guitars are up in the mix and with that much distortion they will hog low mid frequencies. Also maybe bump the Bass around 80 htz then adjust volumes.

I'm hearing the bass better on this one. But if you want to continue to play with it, if paulisher's ideas don't impact, then try boosting some bass around 400-500 Hz and cutting the guitars at the same frequency.

I've boosted the low end a bit.
I'm going to give it a listen on some proper speakers tomorrow. I can't trust my headphones.

V4
The bass has a rubber band sound to me - twangy and no substance.
It works in some parts of the song but not others...when there's a lot going on in the arrangement it's fine but when there's space to hear it & the space around it the sound is as described above.
The drums sound distant - other roomy.
All the parts seem to have been played & recorded well but, to me, they're not gelling as a mix.

Back