lost stereo from minidisk to harddrive

danish

ok this might be vague because im posting at work and the equipment is at home and some of it isnt mine but here goes..
my band recorded yesterday to minidisk. sorry i dont know what brand or anything the recorder is i can post that later if need be. anyway, it sounds grrreat. we panned the guitars left and right on the mixing board and when the minidisk player is hooked directly to the stereo (via RCA out to RCA in) the pans are fine.
the problem is now i need to go from minidisk to harddrive to track the vocals with voyetra digital orchestrator pro. soundcard is probably some generic brand: has mic in, line in, spkr out. tried many different setups between minidisk RCA out and soundcard inputs, even routed through mixer BUT the best we could get mixes the pans into each other. ie we lose stereo. (the worst we got was totally losing one of the channels)

sooo...

is there a way to preserve the pans once the songs hit the harddrive?

is a soundcard's line in usually stereo? i realize if not then that's the problem.

sorry again for lack of specs but any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
.danish

It's your software.

NOT your equipment. I've used DOP and that's your problem right there. DOP puts stereo tracks on two seperate tracks. Do you understand what I'm saying?? Try this . . . open a stereo wav file in DOP. You'll see that it opened with data on tracks one and two, panned left and right. The reason you can't go into the DOP stereo is because you have to record the left and right tracks SEPERATELY. I know, it sucks. I wouldn't suggest trying to do it that way, I'd suggest getting new software.

--Tax :D

Back