Lost my Voice

benherron.rrr

Im a little bit down at the moment, in the last month and a half I have had 3 colds in close sucsession. Now that I have come out of the other end of the tunnel, I feel my voice has seriously geraded and its almost like I have lost all sence of pitch.

:(:(:(:(:(

How can I get myself better again?

Well, from my experience to regain your voice, the best advice would be to try to avoid singing, - and although counter-intuitive - avoid talking and definately don't shout or whisper. This way your vocal chords will get some rest and have a chance to repair.

And to get over a cold, unfortunately there is no cure yet! :mad:

Don't despair you will get your voice back but it will take time.
If you've had 3 colds in succession then you're obviously fighting a whole bunch of bugs and your resistance might be low.
the best advice I can give is try to get LOTS of sleep....this will help your whole body recover...and that includes the voice too.

Im a little bit down at the moment, in the last month and a half I have had 3 colds in close sucsession. Now that I have come out of the other end of the tunnel, I feel my voice has seriously geraded and its almost like I have lost all sence of pitch.

:(:(:(:(:(

How can I get myself better again?

It'll come back! Rest, water, rest, water. I bet your hearing is a bit off from all the congestion.

Yeah, its really annoying Im not very confident with my vioce as it is, but the fact that it is getting worse is just depressing.

Do any of you find that you can hum or Ahh a note alot better then singin the note with a word? why is that?

my vox teacher (when i used to take lessons) would always tell me that when experiencing pain or recovering from a cold to use the ooh vowel as in the words goo, foo, zoo, etc...

sing those "words" while doing major scales ascending in half steps

(ie c major: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 followed by c#major: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1, etc...)

ooh helps you find that "up and Back" placement useful for high notes. Once you find the place where ooh sounds "pure" (should feel almost like a fasletto placement) then sing all your vowels from that "place"

ymmv

p.s. if you need me to explain more i'd be happy to :)

try chewing lemon peel and sucking on zinc tablets... yes it does work... then get some singing lessons...

Last edited:
No singing allowed for Ben !

Rest. Don't sing. No shouting. Take the opportunity to write music in anticipation of recovery. Breath the snowy air in deeply. Don't sing. Don't scream at football matches, Sepp Blater, traffic wardens, mangy hounds or foxes. Gargle with warm, yukky salt water. And don't sing. OK ?
You shall go to the ball.

Oh! i almost forgot, inhaling steam can help aswell, just fill a bowl up with hot water and get breathing!

It'll loosen up the mucous from the cold and soothe your throat a bit, so it will most likely improve singing a bit.

and if you have no sense of pitch, you could be still kinda stopped up from the cold. If your nasal passgaes are still stuff ..... that can carry over to your ears and have them kinda blocked up too.

Lt. Bob hit the nail on the head, dead on balls accurate. The pitch deal is likely serous otitis. Fluid (non-infectious) behind the TM, or ear drum. Now if you start to get ear pain, get thee behind me, oh wrong sermon, get thee to a doctor. That can lead to a bacterial infection, needs anti-bacterials, also known as antibiotics, cause we, in medicine, still live in the 1800's when it comes to terminology.

I'm in the same boat, non-stop allergies, and due to the lovely CDC everyone and his dog/kids/extended family thinks we in the ER really want to share all their crud with them. I think I had RSV solid for about 4 months last year, this year's looking even better. Generation Z fer ya.

Buzzard, what are TM, CDC, ER and RSV in the contexts you've used them ?

In order: TM: tympanic membrane (ear drum, I did clarify that you notice san), CDC: Center for Disease Control, in Atlanta. They're the guys that got everyone's knickers in a twist last year about H1N1 (swine flu, big nothing really), ER: emergency room, AKA ED (emergency department). RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, a really bad cold with hundreds of different strains so getting it provides no protection.

Hope this helps me ole China!

Last edited:
When I get a cold or anything that causes congestion, it can rob me of my singing voice for a while. The things I do to clear it up are:

use decongestants (i.e., pseudophed);
avoid dairy products (i.e., milk or cheese);
avoid antihistamines (because they fight the decongestant);
drink hot tea with lemon.

In order: TM: tympanic membrane (ear drum, I did clarify that you notice san), CDC: Center for Disease Control, in Atlanta. They're the guys that got everyone's knickers in a twist last year about H1N1 (swine flu, big nothing really), ER: emergency room, AKA ED (emergency department). RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, a really bad cold with hundreds of different strains so getting it provides no protection.

Hope this helps me ole China!
Cool. My wife loves the programme so I suspected ER was that, CDC I didn't have a clue, RSV I thought was "Revised standard version" [an edition of the bible from long ago !]. The funny thing is that I took a wild guess at tympanic membrane then instantly dismissed it. I always call it that rather than the ear drum because it's such a great name. Sounds like a King Crimson type band.
It's also my initials. When I was a kid, every toy I ever saw had TM stamped on the bottom and I used to wonder if they were for me. When I got around to asking, I was told it meant "Trade mark".

Wait a minute ..... your sure your just no going through puberty here? :D

:cool:

LOL! No it would be quite strange if I was only just going through it now.

my vox teacher (when i used to take lessons) would always tell me that when experiencing pain or recovering from a cold to use the ooh vowel as in the words goo, foo, zoo, etc...

sing those "words" while doing major scales ascending in half steps

(ie c major: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 followed by c#major: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1, etc...)

ooh helps you find that "up and Back" placement useful for high notes. Once you find the place where ooh sounds "pure" (should feel almost like a fasletto placement) then sing all your vowels from that "place"

ymmv

p.s. if you need me to explain more i'd be happy to :)

Yes, please go further!

Its been a little while now, I used to get complimented on how I can easily hit the note dead on. Its like my placement has gone.

Whats his name... Bret manning? The singing success guy? He has some videos on youtube about singing after a cold and stuff.

Also, buy Throat Coat: www tealand.com/ThroatCoat.asp

Put a drop of honey in, it will work wonders. If you've still got a sore throat gargle some apple cider vinegar and spit it out (It kills any germs lurking in the back of your throat)

Back