Losing my mind trying to figure this out

corpsee

Hey there, can anyone help me please?
My situation is that I have a Yamaha cs1x synth hooked up to my PC via midi.
When I`m using Cubase (or any other sequencing software) and I`m using the sounds off of the cs1x (OUTPUT MPU-401)everythings fine.
But if i use my cs1x as a controller for my "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" or any VST Instruments etc.. then there is about a half of a second timelapse from when I play my cs1x to when I actually hear any sound.
It`s really annoying me now cos it seems like such a simple problem but I have absolutely no idea of any solution, anyone who does would really make my Christmas
THANKS

What audio card are you running ? Whats currently happening sounds like latency issues (the time you hit the key to the time you actually hear the sound). Give us a quick run down of your system, processor speed, ram, and hard drive speed/size. Don't forget to list your audio interface because I believe this is the weakest link for you.

I agree with GG. Sounds like latency.

Your sound card and the drivers will have a lot of effect on this. As will the settings in your software and the horsepower of your system.

Start by gettng the latest drivers for your sound card - get the wdm drivers if you're running Sonar (and if they are available for your card).

Then try reducing the latency settings in your software. However, the lower the settings the more likely you are to have dropouts. The beefier your system is the less likely you are to have problems here.

I have heard of people getting 1.5 ms latency with Delta Cards, WDM drivers and Sonar. Generally I understand that anything under 5ms can not be heard by most people. However, getting under 5ms with a stable system is a challenge.

Back