Looping/copying question

Antz_Marchin

I've been trying to loop a guitar riff for a song that basically repeats itself for most of the song and then sing over top of it, or copy verse guitar parts that I play once and then paste a copy into each of the 3 verse sections. My problem is that is sounds so mechanical any time I try to cut, loop or paste something into a song. No matter what I do I can't make a smooth transition into between the start and stop of a loop. It abruptly cuts from the last note and very mechanically starts to play the first not again with no flow whatsoever.

For example I'm trying to record an acoustic version of I Miss You by Incubus. If anybody knows the main riff they will understand. I am trying to loop this riff and sing over it, as the harmonic that I need to hit doesn't always come out perfect on a mic'd acoustic as it would on an amped electric. I'm just wondering how I can loop this 12 or so note riff so the transition between the end/start of consecutive riffs will be a little smoother. Then I can take a section which was looped the amount I want and copy and paste it entirely into the next verse. Hopefuly my question makes sense. Thanks for any help. -BJ

I usually make my loops in Sound Forge or Acid so I haven't done too much loop construction in Sonar but I think you might be able to play around with the groove clip features.

Heres what I do: I set up loop tabs/ markers and move them until it makes the seam I want. once Ive got it to loop correctly I then cut the section out EXACTLY where the loop markers are. I can paste it with as many repititions as needed.

It takes some time. Move both the start and stop markers until it sounds the way you want it.
make sure youve got your zero crossings enabled as well so you dont get clicks.

Ive posted this same question here before. Ive been told that soundforge is better for making this type of loop.

Peace
Bill

Antz_Marchin said:
...I'm trying to record an acoustic version of I Miss You by Incubus.
Sorry - don't know jack about looping :o, but do know this is a cool tune... :cool: Love the drum groove. Good luck. :)

Back