Loop and MIDI Tempo-Timing

tdukex

Man of the Muse
So, I've used the search function but can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. Here's what I want to do:

Let's say I have programed a MIDI drum track in Sonar. I also have a Bass track made from loops in ACID. Both tracks have the same number of bars and the same tempo but when I import the loop into Sonar the two tempos don't sync perfectly.

How do I get the two to sync perfectly in Sonar?

I have both Sonar and ACID 2.0. I've spent a few hours trying to figure this out and I'm not getting it. :( I'm just a dull boy hoping some of you sharpies out there can turn on a light for me.

Also posted in the Sonic Foundry forum.

I don't use Acid.... or loops, but the files exported may not be in exactly the same time. I had that problem with a different program a long time ago.

First, make sure the bass file starts at the right time, if not you may have to move it a little. I do err did it (and there may be a better way) through the track properties.

Second, if it is lined up already, try tweaking the tempo in Sonar. the midi file should change tempo but the loops won't. (you may have to re-allign the bass track again.

Third, why use acid at all. Sonar supports Acidized loops. If you bring the bass loops into Sonar directlly you can aviod the problem.

Somebody probably has a better solution, but that should do it for now.

This works for me.

I fuss with this constantly. Create a separate file. Set the tempo to whatever the original loop was created at...i.e., 128.

import the file, or paste it in. Then change the tempo to whatever you want...say 132... Now, even though it may sound kind of close...sometimes...that imported beat just isn't quite dead on. SOLUTION...

BLOW UP the view of the clip. Note where the end is compared to your ruler on top (is that what that things called...? You know the tick mark guides 1/2/3 etc. above your tracks...anywho. Click so that you align to the nearest measure and note what the EXACT time is that the measure states. Then choose/EDIT/Stretch to Fit time, or something like that and type in the number that your measure was on. it's usually a few milliseconds but makes all the difference in the world. Then copy that clip in to your other mix.

I hope i didn't confuse the hell out of you...i'm not good at explaining things...if anyone can explain better...please HELP! :rolleyes: I use Cakewalk loops which are audio. I hope you too are talking about Audio.

If you are working with MIDI loops. Just choose quantize and choose the correct setting for the beat....whole quarter 16th, 16th triplet, etc. Good luck.!

Back