Looking to buy a new microphone

JimJones

Hey everyone, I have little experience recording, however I've been reading a lot and I think I'm ready to buy some equipment.

For now, I have decided on a CAD Premium 7-piece microphone set and a PreSonus Firestudio Project, so I still need a mic for recording vocals and guitars.

I thought the SM57 would be the best choice, it's excellent for recording guitars and drums, but I heard it's not very good for vocals.

I thinking maybe a Condenser mic would be my best choice - I've been hearing some samples and they are much clearer then Dynamic microphones.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica AT2020
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone?sku=270620

By the way, I'm looking to pay around $100-150, and I'm going to be recording Progressive Thrash Metal, so I need something flexible to record clean stuff as well as distorted.

Please give some suggestions for either condenser or dynamic microphones

Thanks in advance :D

It's probably as good a choice as any other in the price range but for a few dollars more you could probably get one with Pad & Bass Roll Off and even multi patterns. I'd keep looking if I was you. Keep in mind that you'd want to be able to use Pad & Bass Roll Off simultaneously so look for two switches.

Condenser mic for sure! dynamic mic are great for live performances and getting good drum sounds, but you need some thing much more sesative when recording vocals and a condenser mic is very sensative and needs a power source to work aka phantom. for that price range i would probably get an m audio mic like a mxl or the akg perception 220 is also good for that price range.. if you can afford it ever look into blue mics they are gods!

hope that helped

ps- i record hardcore and metal as well. if you need any tips on that feel free to message me :)

Is your recording space well treated. If not a condenser may not be such a great choice as it will pick up all the background crap and bad acoustics of an un treated space

Back