Looking to add to my setup

Chilli_D

I've got about $50 in Best Buy gift cards and I'm really looking to spend that on something that will make my little room "studio" better. My first thought was just getting some better speakers, however there's nothing wrong with what I've got. Why not get something I could really use, right?

My current set up -
I've got my laptop right in the middle of my desk.
I've got a 3.5mm to Dual RCA cord running from my headphone jack to the Aux-in on my stereo. My new quality headphones ;) running out of that, when needed.
On either side of my computer are my monitor speakers.
My blue snowball USB condenser mic is my main recording device.

I'm not sure which direction to go. $50 isn't my limit but the less I spend, the better. The only real restriction is that I'm using gift cards so I have to buy from Best Buy. Do I get speakers, a new receiver, a sub, anything else? I'm really not sure what my best buy would really be here. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There's nothing - Especially at Best Buy - that $50 is going to get you that's really worth anything except maybe a nice lamp or a few CD's.

At Best Buy, there's nothing that $500 is going to do either for that matter. But don't sell short the idea of getting some "serious" listening music... $50 to help train your ears is worth $50,000 in the long run.

+1 on buying some reference CDs for listening to what a good mix is supposed to sound like. A good use of $50 if you can find them at BestBuy.

I got a cheapo headphone amp for about $50 at Best Buy (which actually sounds quite nice!)

I'm loving their new "Musical Instruments" section. I plan on getting my next set of monitors there soon.

Back