Looking for some newbie links.....

JazzMasterWil

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, but I've been recording for awhile. I don't have anything really nice or fancy, all my stuff is pretty simple.... I basically just like to "jam with myself" and record it.

But I'm very interested in making my room sound "better". (In my case I should have said "less awful").

I don't have the money or space to build separate areas right now.... So I'm really just trying to do the best I can with what I've got.

Drums are really a nightmare to play and record in this room, they just sound awful....... And theese drums sound great with the exact same tuning, miced up on stage. Granted my mics aren't as nice as the mics at most clubs and what-not, but I really think I can do better than this.

I know you guys hear this sort of thing all the time, so I'm not really asking for individual one-on-one help. I'd just really appericate some links.

Something like "a complete idiots guide to make your room sound less like you've been recording in a small dungeon in the center of a much larger dungeon that is located in the center of the earth" would be very helpful.

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks in advance :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Thank jkokura :D (I added to your rep. as well, sorry I called it feedback earlier. I have a pretty crippling addiction to ebay).

That link had a ton of interesting information. And I kind of got lost goofing around on that page, and I saw that they have an SAE school about 4 hours from where I live..... I wonder what it be like to actually go there....

I'm working really hard on failing out of communitity college for the second time. :mad: So, I don't think there's anyway I'll ever make it up there..... but it can't hurt to dream right? :rolleyes:

Anyways, in the little bit of research I've done so far. It seems like, building some moveable panels would be a really good idea for me.

I know it wouldn't be the most "pro" way to go, but I'm good with my hands and have access to a ton of free lumber. (Long story short, I did some renovation work and saved the old wood......)

I'm like this design. This looks like something a guy like me could build.
http://www.jeffstrong.com/gobos.html

I'm not sure if I need the "reflector" part of it or not. (To be honest, I did look at the links, but even a lot of the "just starting out" stuff is WAY over my head). But I could definately use the absorber part.

*If any other newbie happens to read this, please add that link, to your list of links to "investigate".

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks a lot guys, and please keep the links coming. I'm really appericate the help. :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Sorry to keep posting..... I swear I'll shut up eventually.

But, I was looking at plans to make an amp isolation box. (Here's the link)
http://www.jeffstrong.com/ampbox.html

I'm somewhat getting the general concept of this.... but what about using blue board (like the stuff that's used in masonry) or sand the fill the gaps?

From a total "I'm a newbie and know absolutley nothing" perspective, I think sand would make the panels completely dead.... Any thoughts?

If you don't have the time (or patience) to answer one-on-one questions (like this one) I totally understand....

Thanks, and I promise I'll shut up for atleast an hour. :D

JazzMasterWil said:
I'm very interested in making my room sound "better". (In my case I should have said "less awful").

I know you guys hear this sort of thing all the time, so I'm not really asking for individual one-on-one help. I'd just really appericate some links.
Hi Jazz. The link in my signature below will take you to a set of pages which detail how I assembled my home studio and its acoustic panels. I don't claim to have done a particularly good job of it; but I used the excellent advice I got from people in this forum and I'm very happy with the result. Unlike you, however, I don't play real drums in my studio, so I have no idea if my acoustic "solutions" will work for you. Best of luck.

Back