Looking for some Advice/Tips on Mixing Kick Drum

Tempo Fugitive

Hi, I've been recently mixing a track where the Kick sounds good, and I am happy with the overall mix in general.

However, I have Sonarworks, which allows one to listen to a mix in various formats (simulating different kinds of speakers, like those found in a car, tv, laptop/PC, headphones, smartphone, etc).

Anyway, the point of this post is that I listened to my mix in these various formats, and the kick virtually disappears in things that contain no real low-end capability (like a laptop or smartphone). Now, I realize the obvious solution is to boost the mid-range and/or mid-highs of the kick so that it can be heard on these sorts of devices. However, it just occurred to me that perhaps there is a better or more clever solution that I have not thought of that others may have found to this sort of problem.

So I wonder if anyone would be so kind to share any tricks or useful tips for getting a kick (or similar sound that exists predominantly in the low end) to come through on crappy listening devices that lack low end presence (other than EQ boost)?

Thanks in advance!

I have Sonarworks and I use it from time to time to adjust some EQ on a couple of my headphones to test a mix........but it's still subjective. Your monitors and or headphones still affect the overall output sound....no mater how Sonarworks adjusts. I know that Sonarworks does adjust for many different brands of montiors and headphones and then...on top of that....attempts to adjust to emulate laptops....cheap speakers...etc...etc. There is no completely accurate science to any of that.....so the best thing for you to do is.....use excellent montiors and headphones.....do what you can to treat your room....and.....get VERY used to how commercial mixes sound on them....and then mix your tracks accordingly. Sonarworks can get you to chase your tail...so use with care.

Mick

I have Sonarworks and I use it from time to time to adjust some EQ on a couple of my headphones to test a mix........but it's still subjective. Your monitors and or headphones still affect the overall output sound....no mater how Sonarworks adjusts. I know that Sonarworks does adjust for many different brands of montiors and headphones and then...on top of that....attempts to adjust to emulate laptops....cheap speakers...etc...etc. There is no completely accurate science to any of that.....so the best thing for you to do is.....use excellent montiors and headphones.....do what you can to treat your room....and.....get VERY used to how commercial mixes sound on them....and then mix your tracks accordingly. Sonarworks can get you to chase your tail...so use with care.

Mick
Ok, I'll keep that mind. Thanks!

Well I would kind of have to know more to help more but just off the top of me head I would suggest parallel processing with a bit of saturation and compression that favors a slow attack and quick release to accent the initial transient a bit and mix in to taste.

Well I would kind of have to know more to help more but just off the top of me head I would suggest parallel processing with a bit of saturation and compression that favors a slow attack and quick release to accent the initial transient a bit and mix in to taste.
Ah! I think I see what you mean and how that could help. I'll give it a go and see how it works, thanks very much!

Edit: I just finished mixing in a tiny bit of parallel compression, and it worked a treat! Not only did it bring the kick out on the 'crappy' speakers, but the kick is overall punchier without getting too 'boomy' on 'good' speakers. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Back