Looking for software recommendations

56banjo

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a software upgrade.
I've been using Audition, I think it's 1.0Le. (about 6 years old i think).
I'm ready to upgrade my computer and software, but unsure what to buy.
My reasoning goes this far:
I like audition's editing facilites, so I'm thinking of going for a later version. However whilst I mainly record a single instrument at a time, (classical acoustic) then multitrack and mix and master it as best I can, I would like the possibility of adding some midi and use some sampled sounds. Can anyone tell me if the latest Audition allows for this in any way?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations of a different software package?
Thanks

The latest (AA CS5.5) has no MIDI capability at all. The previous (AA3.0) had some basic MIDI. There's likely to be a new version out sometime in the first half of this year but Adobe never announce features in advance so MIDI is anyone's guess.

What you might be able to do is use something like Reaper (free to try, $60 to buy the full programme) for MIDI and set up Audition, either your existing version or a later one) as the Reaper external editor. I work a bit that way, except I use an old version of Sonar for MIDI (and my MIDI needs are slight) then transfer to Audition for mixing and working with wave files.

Thanks for that, I certainly won't have to waste time exploring CS5.5. Your suggestion of adding in another program for midi sounds interesting, though it sounds a bit advanced for a someone new to sound recording - I'm not usre I'd know how to do that :facepalm:- I'm hoping I could get something that does both, with the editing capability at least as good as AA. Any further suggestions be gratefully received.;)

Well, the usual recommendation around the HR forums is Reaper--there's a 28 day trial for free then it's only $60 to buy. I've had a look and it seems pretty comprehensive. Since anything else will be several times that price, it would be my first trial.

It also has an easy to set option to "use external editor". Just put Audition into that and, anytime you find something you'd prefer to use Audition for and it will open it up and load the files for you.

I'd experiment with that route before looking at more expensive stuff--and, who knows, the NEW Audition might be out not long after your trial ends and it might be better, have MIDI, etc. Or maybe not!

Well, the usual recommendation around the HR forums is Reaper--there's a 28 day trial for free then it's only $60 to buy. I've had a look and it seems pretty comprehensive. Since anything else will be several times that price, it would be my first trial.

It also has an easy to set option to "use external editor". Just put Audition into that and, anytime you find something you'd prefer to use Audition for and it will open it up and load the files for you.

I'd experiment with that route before looking at more expensive stuff--and, who knows, the NEW Audition might be out not long after your trial ends and it might be better, have MIDI, etc. Or maybe not!

One other question (and thanks for your help so far) I did get a version of cubase le with a piece of hardware, do you happen to know if its possible to set audition as an external editor for cubase?

Sorry, Cubase is one I've never played with but hopefully somebody else will be along soon!

I don't see the name mentioned much on forums like this but Magix do some great and affordable software.

I can't post a URL but search for Magix Samplitude.

Back