Looking for Shure M68-RM Reverb Mixer

They are nice units. Any particular reason you're looking for one? I had a search setup on eBay that ran each day and would alert me when one of those mixers was listed. After several months I managed to get a unit in good shape for for about $35, shipped.

I have rather a collection of Shure 'M' Series hardware. How I discovered them is a bit of a long story but since then I find myself using them all the time. I don't know how I got anything done without them :)

Robert

Hi Robert,

I'm in a situation where most of my recording gear is in storage at the moment. I just moved from Oakland, CA to Portland, OR. I'm getting a small setup together centered around a 3M Wollensack 1580 2-track for recording my new Magic Hero group (acoustic 12-string, vocals, flute and bass). The mikes that came with the deck are not so great, so I'm looking for a no-frills setup that's inexpensive. Basically, the M67 is ideal except I would like reverb. Incorporating an effect send/receive to an M67 or M68 seems kind of challenging, plus I have no reverb unit at the moment!

How do you like the reverb? I had one at one point but I couldn't get it to work.

Is your goal to end up with a mono recording? Most (All?) of the 'M' Series equipment is mono only, as is the M68-RM. If that we're my plan I would probably go with an M367 (6 Channel, mono) The M367 has two mono outs, one is mic level and the other switchable between mic and line. It would be easy to use that mixer to record with and also send one of the outs through a processor and back into the M367. Beyond the Mic/line inputs the M series gear has a mix-bus input which you can use as a line in. It's usually on a RCA jack. Feed you 'verb back in there or via a normal input and it will be on the mix-bus outs.

If you're looking for simple stereo, the Shure FP42 is a good place to start. 4 input, plus mix bus, into a stereo pair. They have done some interesting things with the mixer to make them incredibly flexible and the FP42 actually has a separate 'Cue' bus that you can get to via the headphone jack. They were very popular with radio stations.

The M68-RM is a fine mixer and can sound quite good but it takes careful attention to levels to manage the noise floor. The spring isn't bad on the M68-RM but it's also not great :) You don't get really any control of it, beyond how much level you get. To record the quartet you describe, I'd want a little more control to help manage the 'sprong' sounds a spring reverb can give off but perhaps that's all part of the sound :)

I might even consider using the mix-bus out on the M mixer and feeding it into a guitar pedal and then back into the mixer... so many fun ways to use older gear! Eddie Kramer use three M67's to record Woodstock after all...

Robert

Is your goal to end up with a mono recording? Most (All?) of the 'M' Series equipment is mono only, as is the M68-RM. If that we're my plan I would probably go with an M367 (6 Channel, mono) The M367 has two mono outs, one is mic level and the other switchable between mic and line. It would be easy to use that mixer to record with and also send one of the outs through a processor and back into the M367. Beyond the Mic/line inputs the M series gear has a mix-bus input which you can use as a line in. It's usually on a RCA jack. Feed you 'verb back in there or via a normal input and it will be on the mix-bus outs.

If you're looking for simple stereo, the Shure FP42 is a good place to start. 4 input, plus mix bus, into a stereo pair. They have done some interesting things with the mixer to make them incredibly flexible and the FP42 actually has a separate 'Cue' bus that you can get to via the headphone jack. They were very popular with radio stations.

The M68-RM is a fine mixer and can sound quite good but it takes careful attention to levels to manage the noise floor. The spring isn't bad on the M68-RM but it's also not great :) You don't get really any control of it, beyond how much level you get. To record the quartet you describe, I'd want a little more control to help manage the 'sprong' sounds a spring reverb can give off but perhaps that's all part of the sound :)

I might even consider using the mix-bus out on the M mixer and feeding it into a guitar pedal and then back into the mixer... so many fun ways to use older gear! Eddie Kramer use three M67's to record Woodstock after all...

Robert

Thanks for all your info!

Yeh, the M367 is a bit too modern for my tastes, I'm afraid. Definitely looking for a sonic sheen somewhere in the area between 1968 and 1973. Definitely looking for mono, as I'll be using the 2nd track for overdubs. The final result will be stereo, but in a 1960s kind of way (main group on the left channel, overdubs on the right).

I've used the M67 extensively, but as a submixer/mike preamp ... it has a sound I like and I'm familiar with. This time, it'll be the main mixer. I'll probably hold out for an M68RM ... I think the reverb would suit my needs pretty well -- looking for something that might sound like a late '60s 'amateur' or outsider recording. Plus, since this is a temporary recording setup, I don't want to pour too much $$$ into something I'm not going to be using down the line.

Lemme know if you wanna sell your M68RM, or know where to find one!

Automated searches on eBay is how I find everything, they call them 'Followed Searches'. Not great if you need it now but great for finding less common kit at non-Flower-Pot-Guy prices.

Robert

Automated searches on eBay is how I find everything, they call them 'Followed Searches'. Not great if you need it now but great for finding less common kit at non-Flower-Pot-Guy prices.

Robert

Speaking of which, I had a tentative deal worked out for one for $60 shipped via a Craigslist ad I found (price was kind of high but not too bad) ... but then the guy never responded. My eBay search just turned up a new listing ... presumably the same guy (the auction was listed in the same city) -- for $150! Looks like the guy did an ebay scan and saw the Flower Pot prices! This Flower Pot guy is really messing things up (It'll take the seller a month or two before he realizes no one will pay $150 for this thing) !

Back