Looking For PCIe Sound Card With 'Digital I/O Coaxial' Input?

WWII Historian

Hi Gang

I've been around here and always appreciate the help.

I just restored my Tascam DA-30 (have numerous production tapes which need hard disk transfer). The Dat Machine has 'Coxial' or 'XRL Digital Output' - Have noticed there aren't many options on the market for PCIe 'Sound Cards' with 'Digital I/O Coaxial' input? Can someone possibly offer another option/idea? Is it possible to adapt from Coaxial (which naturally looks like RCA) to possibly another configuration? Like maybe 1/8 " Mini Stereo? Which most of the Sound Cards feature. But of course I need Digital to Digital (keeping analog out of the equation).

Thank you for any ideas!

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Tascam Rear.jpg
    Tascam Rear.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The coaxial output is also called spdif. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding an interface with spdif i/o, but it might end up being a usb interface, as pcie isn't as common as it used to be, now that everyone uses laptops.

Yep, I bought a used Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st gen because it has S/PDIF I/O on coax so I can transfer DATs, and 4 analog inputs so I can transfer 4-track cassette.

Most audio interfaces are external to the computer these days using either USB or Thunderbolt connections. If your DAT's are all 44.1kHz or 48kHz then the Zoom U-44 would be worth looking at. It can handle both co-axial and optical S/PDIF and works well for DAT transfers in my experience. Its only downfall is that it can't handle 32kHz long play tapes.

Hi Farview, bouldersoundguy and Jamesperrett - Thanx for all the replies! Yes there's plenty of Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st gen, 2nd gen and so on available on Ebay. In my instance I'd probably use my PC (although I also have #2 Apple G5's) I use for Video. Ya know if I wasn't too concerned on keeping them 'Digital Files', I suppose I could also transfer them thru my Asus Sound Card (analog) thru Audacity then saved in various formats? Most of these tunes are going to be uploaded to Face Book or a Web Page anyway?

Thanx Again!

If your worried about preserving the quality, get an interface. There are plenty of cheap little interfaces, like the Zoom mentioned above. The built in sound devices are generally noisier and not great for this sort of thing.

Hello again friends (and thanks again)!

Take a peak at the image (Rear Configuration) Tascam DA30

Just to 'clarify' options and capabilities: The Tascam DA30 already has analog out (balanced & unbalanced thru preamp). If preserving digital quality was not paramount, I could simply 'adapt' the Tascam analog RCA output to Mini 1/8" Stereo Male and feed that into my current Asus PCIe sound card input. Occasionally I use 'Audacity.' Of course its still only 'Line In' but seems to work reasonably well when I take 'Line Out' from an older Mackie Analog Mixer.

However, if maintaining 'Digital Preservation,' (avoiding 're-color' of a mix), I'd need something 'other than' Audacity and use either of the devices mentioned above to get 'Digital I/O Coaxial' to USB? True? And BTW, (although I have a G5) this is a PC we're referring to ...

Thanx for your patience ...

Mike

There's a pretty good chance you could still use Audacity. You would have to select the appropriate input device in Audacity so it knows from where to take the signal. And if for some reason Audacity didn't work, there are other options.

I too cannot see why Audacity would not work? An RCA to 3.5mm jack cable seems an eminently logical solution.
If you wanted a general step up in audio quality (though I doubt you would hear it) you could go for an external USB interface. The F'rites are good but if you can find a second hand Native Instruments KA6, even better. At the very least you would get away from those pesky mini jacks!

Dave.

Hello All ....

Zoom U-44

Thank you for all the info - I'd like to pick up a Zoom U-44 but need to clarify the connections: I can go from the Coaxial Output from the DA30 to the Coaxial Input on the Zoom U-44 - then to a USB Port on an older Dell Optiplex 790 Windows 7 - Will this work? If so, (other than Audacity), will Audacity (version 2.3.1) sense a Digital Signal? *Is there a selection/option for 'Digital In'? Thank You ...

I think those connections are right. I can't say if a Windows 7 machine will work. If the U-44 uses an ASIO driver, I don't think Audacity will be compatible. Audacity is just a very capable editor anyway, not a proper DAW. Get yourself a real DAW. Reaper is good and affordable. Even if Audacity works, you'll be better off with Reaper.

If you really wanted to keep the card in the machine there is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirmax-Exp...words=pcie+sound+cards&qid=1644225347&sr=8-61

Does not say "S/PDIF" but I cannot see what else the RCAs would be for? Looking around Amazon there are several PCIe cards with a separate S/PDIF extension plate. I have not used that particular card but have use other 'budget' PCI cards and the analogue quality (not that you need that) has always been very good. The downside of these cards (except 'proper' sound cards like the M-A 2496) is that they have poor latency performance. Again, not a problem in this case.

There could be an even cheaper solution? Have a good look at the MOBO, it is just possible that there is a S/PDIF I/O header? In which case all you need is an RCA back plate and cable. Actually Audacity might tell you in 'Preferences'.

Dave.

I'd like to pick up a Zoom U-44 but need to clarify the connections: I can go from the Coaxial Output from the DA30 to the Coaxial Input on the Zoom U-44 - then to a USB Port on an older Dell Optiplex 790 Windows 7 - Will this work? If so, (other than Audacity), will Audacity (version 2.3.1) sense a Digital Signal?

Yes, those connections will work and the U-44 is compatible with Windows 7 according to the Zoom website. I don't use Audacity but, with whatever software you use, you need to be able to select inputs 3 and 4 from the U-44 to record from the digital input. There are probably other interfaces that will do the job but the U-44 is the one that I am familiar with and I know that it works well for DAT transfers (apart from the 32kHz issue that I mentioned in my previous post - but you can always go the analogue route for those).

Hello jamesperrett and everyone who offered suggestions - Please forgive the late reply - I'd like to thank EVERYONE for their help. As it turned out, I resorted to my current Asus Sound Card (Line In) from analog out of the restored DA30 and (as predicted), got very satisfactory results. :guitar: The song and data material was of 'average quality' to begin with so it all worked out fine - thanks again for your speedy relevant replies .... (y) :giggle:

Back