Looking for PA9

Dan DA

Anyone know of a source to buy an inexpensive, legal copy of Cakewalk PA9? I only see it bundled with hardware now.

Not really my business, but if that copy was used to purchase an "upgrade" to Sonar, it is not a legal copy. You won't be able to register it.

Only to make music on your own... can't hope for any tech support in their site, neither for upgrade. :p

Interesting. So if it wasn't used for an upgrade, but was registered by the previous owner, could I buy it and and get tech support or use it for an upgrade?
If not, I guess I'll have to try and find a copy that someone got bundled with hardware, and never registered it.
Anyone have a copy they never registered that they want to sell?

Interesting. So if it wasn't used for an upgrade, but was registered by the previous owner, could I buy it and and get tech support or use it for an upgrade?

...It's not common. I don't have any idea on it. :rolleyes: Cakewalk must have kept the registration data form (including Email, etc) for the registered buyer. It's kinda too complex to me to deal... :(

...Anyway, why would you need CWPA 9 anyway ? :confused: If you can't afford SONAR, then Home Studio or GT Pro are hell alot cheaper than SONAR with better capability than CWPA... :confused:

I'm just used to using it at my friend's home studio.

I went to the Cakewalk site to look for a demo of Home Studio, but they don't have one. I was under the impression that Home Studio was more limited than PA9. Is that incorrect?

...Not true. It has many special features CWPA didn't have such like DXi (although limited), but CWPA is also damn good in several points... I'm not HS user, so I might be wrong, but once I was CWPA 9 user... ;)

HS2002 is just SONAR's little brother. It's A LOT better than CWPA and you probably won't miss a thing when you switch (well, I never missed anything). It's just a couple of things added, and a couple of things improved. It's in no way more limited than CWPA, IMHO.

If you're an amateur, in other words: you don't need to record more than one track at a time, don't need to hook it up to external boards or other difficult configurations involving the words 'smpte', 'timesync', 'Mackie' or 'Digidesign support' and don't need nondestructive midi editing (or don't need an update in the near future :D) HS2002 might be perfect for your needs.

I have a feeling many of the Sonerds around here think HS2002 is very limited opposed to SONAR. Believe you me, it isn't. I've noodled around with the SONAR 2.2. demo last week and I still haven't found anything that justifies the extra $199,-. With the newly obtained DMA settings it's as stable as a....errrr.....a rock?.......SONAR?! (warning: don't trust the HS2002 waveprofiler, better download the SONAR demo and use that profiler to check out the right settings)

Although I've complained a lot lately about HS2002, I'm still a devoted HS2002 fanatic. Mainly because it's matches my needs exactly at the moment...and I can't say my music suffers from using HS2002.

Forgot to ask:

What kind of music are you planning to record? Lots of midi? Or audio?

Do you know what a softsynth is? What soundcard are you using?

I purchased a used copy of Cakewalk Home Studio and was able to use it to upgrade to HS2002.
Just my 2 cents.

I need both midi and audio capability, 24/96. I do record multiple tracks at once, and need the capacity to import video files to work on soundtracks and voiceovers.

Dan DA said:
If not, I guess I'll have to try and find a copy that someone got bundled with hardware, and never registered it.
Anyone have a copy they never registered that they want to sell?
If it wasn't used to purchase an upgrade, then the software license should be transferrable. Best however to check with Cakewalk first to find out the details on how to do it.

A lot has to do with how well Cakewalk keeps its records, though. Legally, if PA9 was used to upgrade, the original license was transferred to the new product and the old product (PA9) no longer has a valid license (that's why the price of the upgrade is reduced). If it wasn't used for an upgrade, then it should still have a valid license which can legally be transferred (sold). All of this assumes that Cakewalk documents these things and can trace the product via it's serial number.

Oh, and BTW, the main feature that PA9 has over Home Studio is the ability to record multiple tracks simultaneously (up to as many inputs as your sound card has).

Other than that, HS2002 is probably a better product. As Pedullist said, if you can live with recording two mono, or one stereo track at a time, you'd be better off with HS.

If you want the best of both worlds, go for Sonar. :D

I still can't believe that HS2002 doesn't support CAL !! Not that CAL is worth $199, but that's almost a standard feature. Cakewalk Pro 3 lets you run CAL scripts. Why not in HS2002? That's enough for me to be a Sonar user right there. I use CAL all the time. Suppose that's the only advantage that Sonar had over HS2002, and you really needed CAL, I guess you would pay &199 for CAL !! Weird!!

ed

Back