Looking for new recording PC on a tight budget

amonte

It's been a while since I've been around here, but I always found this place to be a great resource. Since I'm now in the market for a new PC, I thought I'd come back again.

I'm replacing my old Dell Dimension 2350. For all of the negative things I have read about Dells, I have to say this machine has performed admirably over the last 7 years. It is a P4 1.8 Ghz processor machine. Parts have been swapped out over the years (it's up to a GB or RAM and has a 160 GB hard drive in it now), but for the most part it's done the job. I've been recording with Tracktion 2.0 using an Emu 1212M card. Despite the limited setup, I've had good results with tracking. Mixing can get to be an issue, especially as submixes and plug-ins come into play. I've got an external 1 TB Buffalo drive that I use for my audio drive (over an eSata port), I'll continue using this with the new system.

My budget is pretty small - I would say $700 shipped is the ceiling. I know this isn't much. I'll be keeping my old keyboard, mouse and monitor and I'm hoping to at least start off with the Emu. I'll be able to spring for Tracktion 3 (a whole whopping $25), but again, for now I'll have to keep things lean. In the event T3 isn't doable, I'd probably go with N-Track (unless there is another super-affordable DAW out there that works pretty decent).

I started my search at Dell and was able to put something together in this range, but I'm hesitant to buy another Dell. I was originally buidling out a system at AVADirect and was able to get a much better system for the money, but then I read a whole bunch of nightmare stories about them. I also spent a little time exploring ADK, Sonica and a few other audio based builders, but the ADK Qube seemed to be the only thing close and it was still a bit out of reach. I've built systems in the past (it's been a while), but I'm really interested in having a working PC that I can keep recording on right now

So what is the best option in this range? I know of the things I listed, the ADK is the best, but besides that what PCs/PC builders would you guys suggest?

Can anyone offer an opinion on a Dell T1500 or a custom build experience with CPUSolutions.com?

Be careful. Tracktion is designed to run on XP, and most builders use Windows 7. If you read the system requirements, it only needs 512Meg of RAM and a 1G processor. Computer Music tested Tracktion 3 with a 2.1G machine and 1G of RAM. So there's no point going overboard. A $1,000 postage stamp won't get your letter there any faster.
I like Dell, and don't have any complaints. Sure they have a few 'minuses' here and there, but overall, they're fine. I got a freebie Cubase LE4 with some Zoom gear I bought, and just for the heck of it I loaded it into an old Dell laptop. After I was forced to bump up the RAM, surprisingly it seems to record just fine. I'm happy. And that was an old laptop I was almost sending to the landfill. I guess I'm trying to say you don't need a Ferrari, so you can spend less than you'd think on the computer and have some left over for an interface. That should be 'better' than a fancy internal soundcard.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

I thought I had subscribed to this post, but didn't get alerts on the messages.

I hear you about not "overdoing it", but I'm trying to get something that will allow me to grow beyond Tracktion and expand the computer over time. The last one lasted me 7 years, though it got to be a dog near the end. I ended up with an i3 based machine from CPUSolutions w/ 4 GB RAM. Definately overkill for Tracktion, but a nice starting point that will allow for upgrades over time without going to crazy. It actually came out to be a little less then a comparable Dell, so hopefully all will go well.

BTW, Tracktion 3.0 is on sale at Amazon and Musician's Friend for $4.99. I figured I'd give it a shot, even though I've read some unflattering things about it.

As far as running it Win 7, it seems that some people have been able to get it to work. I know some of them are running it in XP Mode on the Win 7 machine, so that might do the trick. Guess I'll find out!

i'D BUILD FROM SCRATCH....JUST KEEP EVERYTHING FROM THE OLD COMPUTER THATS STILL USABLE...LIKE DA CD, FLOPPY, AND WHATEVER ELSE

Back