Looking for mix critique- "Till It's Over"

Bartman

I count on me
Hello all,

This tune is 90% complete. I have lyrics and a melody line for the bridge but haven't been able to deliver a decent vocal take so the bridge is absent of vocals until I can get it right. I have not edited the ending yet, thus the abrupt stop.

I'd really appreciate it if I could get some mix critique/suggestions. To my ears, my mixes sound "shrouded" with a "tubby" low end (I'm sure you'll find lots of other problems). Not sure how to fix this on the front OR back end. Any suggestions and input would be appreciated.

Side note.....I wrote the lyrics one day when I was having a horrible day at work. Those of you who either work or have worked in corporate America and would really rather be making music (probably everyone, right?) may relate to the message.

The tune is "Till It's Over", it's listed first on my soundclick page.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=274310

Cheers,

Bart

Hey Bartman,

first, I totally feel the lyrics and the subject matter. Although, my corporate job is much better than most (Shure), but I understand wanting to do what you do best all day.

Ok, on to the mix. The first thing I noticed is the reduction in volume on the guitar when the rest of the instruments kick in. Are you compressing the whole thing? I would back off the compressor on the overall mix a bit. Other than that, I like the sounds you have going here. The drums are nice man. What did you use to track those? Are they real or electronic? They are nicley tuned with the song either way. Cymbals are placed great. Stereo guitar is nice as well. It fits perfectly in the mix like that. I think the bass needs to be a little more dirty. Maybe some light overdrive? Guitar solo is placed great as well, but the bass distracts to me during this pass. like I said before, adding some overdrive to it might help that clean DI sound a bit more tasteful. I like the vocals as well. The filter you use during the chorus is exactly what I wanted to hear. For the verses, maybe tighten the vox up a bit, less verb?

Jimmy,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Yes, I am lightly compressing the overall mix via master buss.

The drums are real. Tracked remotely in my drummers family room using my Yamaha AW-16G. Everything else was performed, recorded and mixed by me in my home using Sonar 4.

4 mic set-up as follows:

- Audix D6 on kick through Vintech Dual 72 pre
- Audix i5 on snare through Vintech Dual 72 pre
- Studio Projects C4's as stereo overheads through M-Audio Octane pre

Bart

Back