Looking for Mic for 100 $

stereoid

Hi, I'm encreasing my "studio" and i've decided to buy my first mic, i want best possible quality, so it's probably gonna be condenser mic... i would record mostly vocal and guitar, also piano and some percussive instruments. any recommendations would be helpful... 100$ or a bit more, that's my borderline.
also what do you think about m-audio pulsar II or m-audio luna?? cause i could buy used one.

PS maybe stupid question - why do people sometimes use dynamic mics in studio? (f.e. SM57) aren't condenser better?

Last edited:
I think everyone here would probably quote the MXL V67G for what you are asking. An SM57 is a great mic and very versatile for instruments of all sorts and vocals. I believe Billy Jean by MJ was recorded with an SM57.

In my experience sometimes vocals with a fuller sound, (which is what you get with a good condenser) don't always sit well in all mixes, the sm57 comes in very handy with situations like this.

Second you'll pick up less background from a SM57, so if the room isn't treated well, these can be better.

And third, loud vocals can be easier to capture with an SM57 instead of a condenser.

My opinions only mind you, others could disagree. :)

Hope it helps

Last edited:
There's a sticky at the top of this microphone forum on sub $100 mics. It's a little old, but most of that stuff is still around, and not a lot of good new stuff has come out to add to it as far as I know.

condensers and dynamcis are just different types of microphones, one is not better than the other. Also a sticky at the top of this page.

V67G is good for what you want, SM57 will probably be disappointing for what you're looking for. For 150-200 the AKG C2000B is great for what you want. It's a sleeper most people don't know a lot about, so it doesn't get pushed very often. That's all I have experience with in your range.

In my experience sometimes vocals with a fuller sound, (which is what you get with a good condenser) don't always sit well in all mixes, the sm57 comes in very handy with situations like this.

Second you'll pick up less background from a SM57, so if the room isn't treated well, these can be better.

And third, loud vocals can be easier to capture with an SM57 instead of a condenser.

My opinions only mind you, others could disagree. :)

Hope it helps

I agree with these comments. I am a big proponent of the the 57. It may sound a little "vanilla" when solo'd, but works great in a mix. There are numerous reasons that it is one of the best selling mics of all time.

Here's some advice from people with real world recording credits:

Buying a your first micrphone for a home studio | homerecordingbootcamp.com

Mojo Pie: Fletcher gives recording advice

ok, so MXL-V67G, anything near? what about those m-audio stuff? is it any good?

I'd sum up my answer to your question with "M-Audio make good interfaces but microphones are not their specialty". There are lots better out there and all the recommendations so far would be higher on my list than an M-Audio mic.

Bob

thanks for all comments, they're really helpful, i guess i gonna take this V67G or C2000B.
Peace and thanks once again ;)

I've used both the MXL and AKG a lot. For everything you listed except vocals, I'd go for the AKG first. But it is so hit and miss with vocals. So, if you want something that can handle both guitar and vocals I'd get the MXL first.

If you want an sm57 you can get the clone from gls audio for 30-40 $. Just as good, and I know because I own one, and a 57. I got a used Oktava Mk219 for exactly $100. I love it, if you want to see what it sounds like click on the link below to my soundcloud. 99% of that was done with the Oktava except for a couple short overdubs.

The trouble with most clones/counterfeits is that the quality can be extremely variable. One person has a good experience like Absolutepower but the next person gets a dud that sounds horrible. I recommend staying away from them.

MXL v67g will pretty much murder any other condenser competition in that price range. However, for $100, and if you look in the right spots, you might be able to pick up 2 used sm 57s. They won't be great by themselves, but they would be a nice base to build off of.

thanks again for all help, and yeah, i was thinking about buying this sm57 but i think i'm gonna do it next time when i'll be expanding the "studio", cause my priority now is to record acoustic blues song and for that i guess i'm gonna need condenser, so V67G all the way ;)

there's a sticky at the top of this microphone forum on sub $100 mics. It's a little old, but most of that stuff is still around, and not a lot of good new stuff has come out to add to it as far as i know.

Condensers and dynamcis are just different types of microphones, one is not better than the other. Also a sticky at the top of this page.

V67g is good for what you want, sm57 will probably be disappointing for what you're looking for. For 150-200 the akg c2000b is great for what you want. It's a sleeper most people don't know a lot about, so it doesn't get pushed very often. That's all i have experience with in your range.

☼ ^^^^^ This ^^^^^ ☼

Also check out Naiant. Jon, the owner/builder/etc is a homerecording.com member and active poster. Great mics, great price.

-Nate

These are great microphones for the price as well!
You can pick up a whole hand full for the money your looking to spend.

If you really want a condenser, this is good advice. A lot of bang for the buck. Just be aware that they are omni pattern mics. Should do nicely for acoustic guitar.

There are quite a few mics available in the $100 range. The MXL V67G and the B.L.U.E. Spark are among my favorites. AKG Perception 120 is a valid option. Aren't condenser mics better? That depends on whether you think blondes are better than redheads. They are *different*, not *better*. Condensers and dynamics are like the yin and yang of microphones. Is a Gibson *better* then a Fender? They use different approaches to turning sound into an electrical signal. Any pro studio worth a damn has a bunch of both. There are also ribbon mics, which are a specialized subcategory of dynamics. There are also crystal or ceramic mics, more often used for CB and shortwave radios than music recording.

Forgive me for a little oversimplication, but dynamics *tend* to be less sensitive than condensers, and to have a weaker output. This means that a dynamic will benefit from a powerful, noise-free preamp, in other words, a lot of clean gain. If you have a cheap preamp, condensers may work better, as you don't have to turn up the gain on the cheap preamp/mixer, which tends to increase self-noise. On the other hand, some of the greatest recordings in history have been recorded with cheap dynamics and expensive preamps.

The sensitivity of condensers, especially those with small (therefore light) diaphragms, can reveal fine details of great instruments and great voices, but can also reveal ambient (background) noise, lip smacking, finger squeaking, and the fact that you had a carbonated beverage for lunch. They will also tend to reveal the bad reflections of a bad room, or the good reflections of a good room. Detail is not always a good thing. That's why they airbrush pictures of fashion models.

In short, if I was recording Pablo Casals on a $400,000 cello in a perfect room, there is no doubt I would reach for a condenser. If I was recording a high school girl doing a bad version of a Gwen Stefani cover with a $100 acoustic, I would start by putting up a dynamic. But- these are tendencies, not rules. Anybody that wants to learn recording needs to have at least one of each to start, because they are the basic tools of recording.

The C2000B mentioned above is a very good *fairly* cheap condenser. It's about $300 new, but you can find them for $100-$150 used. As far as cheap dynamics go, the good news is- the most expensive dynamics in the world (excepting ribbons) cost *hundreds* of dollars. The best condensers cost *thousands*. For dirt cheap, I like Behringer XM8500 ($20 new). In the $100 or less range, many, many folks will recommend Shure SM57, a cheap dynamic standard. I prefer the discontinued AKG D770 ($50 or-so on ebay) or the Sennheiser e835. The top of the line dynamics tend to be ruled by about 4 mics- Sennheiser MD421, Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM7b, and Electrovoice (EV) RE20. Most of them can be found for $200-$300 used. For any of those, you'd better have a pretty good preamp. If you are just starting out, and money is tight, I'd look for an MXL V67G and an AKG D770, but those are just *my* choices. If you stumble across an AKG C2000b for cheap, you could do a lot worse. I hope that helps.-Richie

I'd recommend you Studio Projects B1. Bought mine for about 100€, you should be able to get one (maybe secondhand) for 'bout 100 dollars. Great mic. I use it for vocals, piano, percussion, acoustic guitar etc. Very crisp and airy sounding mic, that.

Back