Looking for feedback on vocal

Hi lynx,
I'm surprised you haven't got any responses yet. I thought you sounded pretty good on that track. Did you write the song? I've listened to many songs here as well as on recordingproject.com and the biggest problem with a lot of songs is simply off tune vocals. I'm happy to say that you sounded 'on tune' to my fuddy ears :)

Did you use any 'software enhancements' to help you? Since I've only heard 1 song, (and I don't have time to go through and listen to all your songs) I'm wondering what your vocal range is like. Since you obviously can sing a bit :) , try expanding your horizons and developing you voice more.
Cheers,

Jonathan

ps: oh sorry, I didn't read your post carefully. You only wanted feedback on the vocal volume....Well, the volume seemed fine to me. Not too loud. oops...take or leave my other comments :)

I don't think the vocal is too loud but I wouldn't make it any louder...I used to think a question like yours had a black and white answer, but I once heard an instructor at a recording school explain how politics within a band might determine how levels are set within a song (a solo artists vocals might be more upfront in his mixes compared to a singer who is part of a group (and is an equal member of a band)...this made me start to accept that a song can be mixed two (or more) different ways and both mixes can still be good...I have often struggled with the how loud a vocal level should be in a song. Often it takes several mixes (over several days) and listening to my gut before I think I have it at the right level.

Thx guys, I had given up on responses and only noticed this yesterday.

jonathantan77 - Thx for giving it a go. Yep, I wrote that song a couple of years ago and finally recorded a decent version. Not sure what you mean by software enhancements? I used a bit of reverb for sure, compressed the vocals a little bit if that's what you mean. Yeah, I kind of get the feeling the vocal is OK from feedback here and over at RP, thx for commenting.

mawtangent - Thx for the comment on the vocal. I really struggle with vocal volume in general, it's the hardest part of the mix for me. Usually, I'll just post something that I think is close and ask others, it seems to be the best way.

Thx for checking it out man.

I used a Roland XP-30 for the piano/bass and a SM-80 mic for vocals. All tracked and mixed in Sonar 3.

Hey Lynx,
The vocal performance is great and mix seems right...
The whole thing sounds a bit dark to me...could be just my preference though...
This is really nitpicking, but I hear a buzz before and after the music which kind of steals the mood, if you know what I mean...
Maybe a downward expander or gate?
Also at :26 and 1:01 there is a hiss that comes in right before your vocals which distracts me from your great tune...I think you could edit those things with Sonar and make it more seemless...maybe turn up the wisper part so we can understand it a bit better.
Good song...

RLD

Thx RLD for the comments. I'm usually pretty good at editing out the hiss in tracks, I'll go back and take a look. Thx for the listen.

Back