Looking for critique on metal track

AndySteel

Hi!

I am a newbie here, and would really like some feedback on this track: God is Dead

It's recorded on a Maya MkII through Cubase XT. Guitars through a Rocktron Taboo Artist, bass is lined directly and the drums are ns_kit. I've been working with home recording for several years and would like input on recording, mixing as well as composing. There's always room for improvement, right?

Obviously you have a good grasp on the recording part.
I was struck by some listening fatique of the mix though. I realize this is an MP3(?) so that might be the problem, but it sounds like hugh collisions in the lower frequencies by bass/bassdrum/etc ?
FYI I was listening pretty loud on Fostex PM-1 Studio Nearfield Monitors.
So my only negative critisism was the mix, without me being able to say exactly where it is wrong in the freq. range.
Other than that; good stuff pal!

Emusic said:
I was struck by some listening fatique of the mix though. I realize this is an MP3(?) so that might be the problem, but it sounds like hugh collisions in the lower frequencies by bass/bassdrum/etc ?
!
Thanks for your input. Yes, it's an MP3 (112 samples originally), created by mixing down in Cubase. I'll have a listen and see if I can figure out what you're pointing at and perhaps I'll make a new post. Do you think it has to do with the EQ of the bass? If so, can you give me some hints regarding boosting/cutting?

After downloading it and taking it into SoundForge I suspect the bassdrum to have lots of reverb? A dryer bassdrum would do I think. Ain't sure though.
I dont like Audio Mixdown from cubase to MP3. I normally mixdown to Wav and then use SoundForge to convert to MP3. Have a feeling the result is better.
Might be wrong but...
Back to your tune; just from a quick listen I think its the bass drum that makes it so muddy down below. A more defined and dry bassdrum makes it better I think.
I also have a hard time hearing the Bass. So it might collide as heck there.

yeah... i have pretty much the same to say... maybe darken the cymbals a little bit... they seem a little too bright. the bass drum should be a little bit more thuddy and less boomy, but you definitely have the right idea. good singer, nice back ups, nice riffs, good bass, pretty good drummer.

I experience the same listening fatique thingie.
That and I don't really like the vocals, maybe they should be a bit more on top of the mix.

slightly changed mix

I've considered your advice and here's the new mix: God is Dead. I've cut the bass quite a lot around 200 Hz and also lifted it in the mix. I've also softened the cymbals a little.

You have succeeded in making it better. I don't suffer the same listening fatique, but there is still room for improvement on the mix allthough I cant find out exactly where.
So here's my $0.02
1) The fat gitarchords in the back (i.e. 1:58 & 2:13). Do they have some chorus or stereo effect? Other widening effects? If so, try to turn them down a tad?
2) Do something with the vocals. Aint sure what though. Maybe do some mixing vocal magic to fatten/strenghten them a tad and bring them slightly more forward. (Doubling, reverb, compressor? ain't sure)
3) Make the upper freqs come more to life? I feel the upper stuff (cymbals and high freqs.) are more than crisp enough but lacks, hmm.... some reverb maybe. Aint sure

This is just guessing from me. You suceeded in making it better. To summarize:
Make the lower freqs even more defined? Allthough they already seems good, there still is a ghost of that listening fatique somewhere out there.
Make the vocals a tad more strong by mixing techniques?
Make the highs more interesting? Not so dry?

I'm not a mixing guru, but I aim to be :cool:

Back