Looking for advice on whitch studio condenser mic to buy

stuff

Here is my situation:
I am about 2 weeks away from buying a lot of gear (A Tascam 2488, a drum mic set up, compressors, pre amps, gates, efx units, etc., etc.

I pretty much have everything figured out except with condenser mic to buy. My budget is $300, and I have narrowed it down to 11 choices.

This is where you, my fellow home recording pals, come into play. Let me know what you think about these mics i am considering.
I will maining be using it for vocals, drum room amb. and/or set, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, bass cab, percussion.

Thank you in advance for your comments!!!!

Ok here we go:

1) Shure ks27 ($300)

2) Audio-technia at4040 ($300)

3)AKG c200b4 ($200)

4) Audio-Technia at3035 ($200)

5) AKG c300b ($300)

6) CAD m179 ($200)

7) RODE nt1000 ($300)

8)RODE nt1a ($200)

9)Marshall mxl2003 ($150)

10) Marshall mxlv67g ($100)

11) Marshall mxlv69 ($300)

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

STUFF

stuff said:
I will maining be using it for vocals, drum room amb. and/or set, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, bass cab, percussion.

Well, Mr. Stuff . . .

Based on your requirements, it would appear that you are in the market for an "all-purpose" type mic . . . a "workhorse" as we like to call it. Something that can do many things without sucking. You get the picture.

For that, I would say numbers 1, 2, and 6 would give you the versatility you desire, while the rest might offer you more of a "good on some things, not so good on others" situation.

I certainly wouldn't discount the merits of the medium-diaphragm condenser. MDC's are pretty well-regarded for their versatility. Think Audio Technica 4033, Shure KSM-32, Groove Tubes GT33, CAD E200 and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Consider the Studio Projects mics in your shortlist.
Like a pair of B1's, for example.

How much $$ have you allocated for acoustical treatment(s)?
Also, do you already have any dynamic mics?

Chris

Assuming you have some dynamic mics....I'd go with the 4040. Seems to be good at a lot of things, and doesn't suck at many at all.

If you DON'T have any dynamics, get the 3035 and an SM57 (not on your list-I just stuck it in here to piss Chess off... :D ).

chessparov said:
Consider the Studio Projects mics in your shortlist.
Like a pair of B1's, for example.

How much $$ have you allocated for acoustical treatment(s)?
Also, do you already have any dynamic mics?

Chris

My acoustical treatment is fairly minimal at best- I have a 10'x10' room that I "Sound proofed" to the best of my ability and pocketbook (basicly insulated the walls and cellings, and put up 4 layers of carpet on the 4 walls and celling, floor is covered with an area rug) I mic the guitar and bass cabs in here. I record the drums in the living room (20'x30' with 20' cathedral celings) and the vocals I do in a little closet (4'x4' with 75% of the space taken up by clothes. I will add egg crates when I need to deaden something a little bit, or i will put up some 4'x8' plywood with sheet metal nailed to it if I need some "reverb." (one way of micing a clean gutiar sound that I thought sounded really cool was to is put your guitar cab in a corner, put a large cymbal in the corner,top to the wall,[I used a 22" ride cymbal], and mic the cymbal, pull your cab back for more "room". I added a little delay and flange to the signal and I was set.These are the main areas that I record at. I will go into other rooms of the house sometimes for diffent situations as they arise.

As of right now I only have a shure57. I have just been trying as many micing techniques as I can think of (or read about).

I am planing on getting a 6 piece drum mic kit (2 overhead condensors, bass mic, 3 tom mics, and one of the condensors listed above.

This is about all the mics I am planning on getting for a while.

So what do ya think??

stuff, IMHO you should contact Ethan Winer at www.realtraps.com or at his forum over at www.musicplayer.com regarding proper acoustical treatment.

Besides the boxy situation of your closet, I think performing in a larger space will reap psychological benefits that will improve your recordings.

Chris

CAD M179 gets my vote, great condensor mic for anyone to own but should be standard issue for first timers. :) Well under your budget too.

War

chessparov said:
stuff, IMHO you should contact Ethan Winer at www.realtraps.com or at his forum over at www.musicplayer.com regarding proper acoustical treatment.

Besides the boxy situation of your closet, I think performing in a larger space will reap psychological benefits that will improve your recordings.

I believe what Chessparov is trying to say is that he has a hard time understanding the accoustical merits of the walk-in closet that seems to be so popular for vocal tracking these days.

In fact, I'm quite certain he finds himself puzzled, dismayed, and even slightly clostrophobic at the very thought.

What would you feel about such a setting for vocal recordings? I have a very small room I use as a study and I was wondering about trying it as a 'booth'. It has a very flat sound, unlike my main recording room which has one or two annoying flutters.

EDIT - Is the CAD M177 just the 179 without the multi-patterns? Or is it totally different?

noisedude said:
EDIT - Is the CAD M177 just the 179 without the multi-patterns? Or is it totally different?
I can't think of any multi-pattern mics that don't sound somewhat different than their cardioid little brother.

Cool, thanks. I should re-read the Big Thread and the sticky at the top of this one ... it's been too long!!!

Back