Looking for advice/feedback on the Gibson Les Paul Studio 70's Tribute

What kind of terrible sound are you getting from the sim? I think it's unlikely both pickups will be badly microphonic.

I should have posted a recording, but it was late and I was tired. I will post one tonight or tomorrow so you can hear it. When I brought the guitar home I put it through the sim and it sounded fine, but now it sounds scratchy and there's a lot of white noise. No matter what I change on the amp in the sim or what amp model I use I get the same thing.

---------- Update ----------

Have you got any obvious signs of wax on the pickups or anything like that?

Only asking 'cos a guy was trying to sell me a PRS a couple of months ago and it sounded like shit and got a lot of percussive pick noise coming through the amp. I actually noticed that I was getting wax on my pick hand while I was playing. Turned out he'd left the guitar in the sun and the wax had melted and started leaking out of the pickups - they'd ended up going microphonic.

No visible wax, but I am getting a lot of percussive pick sounds from the pickups. It's going back to the store tomorrow, but I'd still like to know some options on what might be wrong before I take it in.

Some pick noise on covered pickups is somewhat normal. That doesn't necessarily mean it's *bad* microphonic. I'd rule out other variables going into your sim before blaming the pickups.

Some pick noise on covered pickups is somewhat normal. That doesn't necessarily mean it's *bad* microphonic. I'd rule out other variables going into your sim before blaming the pickups.

It also sounded like shit going through one of my amps. But it wasn't the same kind of "shitty" noise, it was just not pleasant.

So, when I plugged the LP into the computer yesterday it sounded great. The "weird" noise and static sounds were gone. I did drop it off for a setup and new strings though. Gonna be a week and a half before I get it back though.

Back