Looking for a versatile set of non-harsh mics...

jon_s

I am about to buy my first set of recording mics ... going for a dark, clean, smooth, open sound. Type of music will be indie rock / chamber pop... (think Matt Pond PA, Bell and Sebastian, Arcade Fire, etc.) but I'd like maximum flexibility. Plan to use a Mackie 1220 with firewire interface. I am an "audiophile", so generally pretty anal about harshness and prefer to minimize eq'ing. For example, Studio Projects B/C-series sounds too bright to me, but the MXL Mogami tube mic sounds A-okay, as do ribbon mics.

Initial mic budget is small, $500 ish ... but I am really interested in having versatile mics that I can play with and use in clever ways...

Was thinking:
2 x Shure SM57 for Bass/Guitar amps, Kick/Snare drums
2 x CAD M179 for Overhead / Violin / Acoustic Guitar / Vocals

OR

2 x Shure SM57
2 x Cheap Chinese Condensers for Overhead / Violin / Acoustic Guitar
1 x Shinybox 46 w/Cinemag or Tube Condenser for Vocals / Possible Guitar amps

The appeal of the CAD is the multi-patterns (drool) and non-bright sound ... the appeal of the ribbon or tube condenser is that it will sound exactly like I want... but I fear that the cheap small condensers will give me a headache and won't have the versatility of the CAD. If it were in the budget, I'd just buy a set of Oktavas with as many capsules as I could find, a pair of CAD E300's, and buy a Shinybox with Lundahl transformer. But I'm too poor ... so I look forward to your suggestions! Help!

I would rethink the 57 in the kick....been there, done that...as Im sure most of us home recorders have...Its worth the few extra bucks to get a beta 52 or somethign similar...got mine used from ebay for $115 total....you'll be glad you did...

Go with your first idea, only swap the SM57's with Audix i5's as they will walk the dog on 57's on just about anything. The i5 has a nice open low / low-mid response where the 57 can get pretty boxy down there. Also the smooth top of the Audix is nice, just a great full sounding dynamic.

War

thajeremy said:
I would rethink the 57 in the kick....been there, done that...as Im sure most of us home recorders have...Its worth the few extra bucks to get a beta 52 or somethign similar...got mine used from ebay for $115 total....you'll be glad you did...

Are there any multi-purpose dynamic mics out there that can do kick and other things too? Something SM57-ish but kick-worthy? I'd rather avoid buying a mic that is purpose-built for one thing at this stage, if at all possible.

Also,
Thanks Warhead, the i5 sounds intriguing... do you have any samples of it in action?

jon_s said:
Are there any multi-purpose dynamic mics out there that can do kick and other things too? Something SM57-ish but kick-worthy? I'd rather avoid buying a mic that is purpose-built for one thing at this stage, if at all possible.

Yes, but it's likely to be out of your budget - I'd say the MD441 and possibly the MD421 could do what you're asking. Why do you need to have 2 57's? I'd only get one and then get a beta 52/AKG D112 since you have one? Do you need two cause you plan on using them in stereo? One is enough, unless you need two for two simultaneous sources (like snare and guitar at the same time)

I use a Beyer M201 on snare and an AKG D112 on kick. I use a 57 on high tom and an MD421 on low. I use an SDC (the AT pro37r) on the bottom of my snare and a pair of Oktava's for overheads. Sometimes I use my AT4040 or my Rode NTK in the room, but I'm excited about a newly acquired M179 to try out as a room mic. I've also used ECM8000's as overheads, and I have a used pair of JM27's to try in the mail. All together, mic costs add up, but the sound result is worth it when you find some that work well.

Jacob

jon_s said:
Also,
Thanks Warhead, the i5 sounds intriguing... do you have any samples of it in action?

I recently acquired mine, and have 3 ongoing projects I'm working with them. I don't have the privilige of posting these ongoing works to show the mics used in context (not my music), but could maybe find the time to print a few isolated snare / vocal tracks I've done with them. Either way I should make some clips of the mic, it really is outstanding at any price.

A friend of mine calls the i5 a perfect cross between all that is good from a 421, SM57 and RE20. Audix put a lot of work into that mic and it shows.

War

I don't here much talk about this mic but KEL HM-4 sounds like it would be just the ticket. Also a used at4047 is a great "go to" mic. KEL HM-4 would set you back $200.

fiddler

jkokura said:
Why do you need to have 2 57's? I'd only get one and then get a beta 52/AKG D112 since you have one? Do you need two cause you plan on using them in stereo?

Thanks for the reply; my motivation for having two was to allow the possibility of lo-fi X-Y stereo mic'ing. But I can see the appeal of a D112, which I also could try for bass amp mic'ing. I also somewhat want to save up for a PZM kick mic, as I hear they are the cat's pajamas.

I'll have to give it all some careful thought, weigh the benefits, etc... It seems like an SM57 and a D112 will yield better results "right now".

Warhead said:
... I don't have the privilige of posting these ongoing works to show the mics used in context (not my music)... A friend of mine calls the i5 a perfect cross between all that is good from a 421, SM57 and RE20. Audix put a lot of work into that mic and it shows.

Thanks again, I understand the situation... I found some samples with metal-style guitar riffs... really rich midbass, open sound, pretty neat. They seem to be cheaper (used) than the SM57 which is nice too.

Jon, definitely take the advice of those above over mine, as I'm an amateur in comparison, but you and I are coming from similar places, so I thought I'd share my setup.

My band does indie-type stuff as well, and our mic budget is pretty limited. We use primarily SM57s (and one 58) as all-purpose mics, and a Rode NT1A as our large diaphragm condenser. I recently (rather foolishly) purchased a Yamaha Subkick to use in conjunction with a 57 for kick; wouldn't recommend that at all (I like the subkick, but it's not a sound I'd want all the time, and it's expensive for a mic that's got a pretty specific sound/effect). We also have a pair of AT4041s which I almost never use (I spent too much on these).

Usually micing any instrument involves setting up 2 or more of these mics and combining the sound to get what we want. We get decent demo-quality results. I feel more limited by our room, instruments, and amps (not to mention my ability, heh) than I do by our mics at this point.

I plan on buying an additional kick/bass cab mic soon, probably a Blue Kickball based on price and what I've read. And based on Warhead's advice, I now plan to buy an i5 as well. And eventually I want to add a ribbon mic, probably a Nady RSM-2.

I'm probably not adding much value to the discussion, but since we share similar attitudes and styles, I thought I'd chime in.

pointfive said:
I plan on buying an additional kick/bass cab mic soon, probably a Blue Kickball based on price and what I've read. And based on Warhead's advice, I now plan to buy an i5 as well. And eventually I want to add a ribbon mic, probably a Nady RSM-2.

I'd go with a ribbon early, personally. I think you'll like the RSM-2 and friends. Nice, smooth sound.

Oh, no. Smooth. I'm starting to sound like someone else we know.... Creamy, wall of sound. How do you get creamy sound? Is creamy sound good? Creamy sound iis what I wand. Would Behringer help make sound creamier?

:D

Gotcha. Are there any cheaper ribbon mics that compare? (I know the RSM-2 is already cheap.) Any experience with the Apex 205?

I've never used a ribbon mic; only read about them.

pointfive said:
...My band does indie-type stuff as well, and our mic budget is pretty limited. We use primarily SM57s (and one 58) as all-purpose mics, and a Rode NT1A as our large diaphragm condenser...

Hey, I checked out some of your songs and I am now feeling quite happy with the SM57s as an option. Sounds good. I think the SM57 contributes a slightly lo-fi, yet organic, tone, a bit bright and gritty, but not in an unnatural annoying way. Maybe I'll just get one SM57 and one Audix?

And, I like your music. Very similar instrumentation to what I'll be dealing with... violin and all.

I must confess: I am not actually "in the band". I am just an audio nerd with a background in theoretical acoustics and electrical engineering who was really excited to blow $$$ on new toys and (hopefully) become famous by association. :D

Edit: Also, the Kickball and ribbon mic... very cool stuff. The Shinybox ribbons seem very appealing for the same cost as the Nady.

Back