Looking for a speaker amp

mrbozo

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but figure issues to do with monitoring speakers are part of the studio build. If it belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it.

My query is this: I have two analogue speakers but need to buy a new amp for them. My speakers are compatible with 8 ohm outputs and used with amps rated from 20 to 100 watts per channel. I only really need an amp with a couple of channels.

Does anyone know where I should begin to look for a good amp? Which brands are better than others etc...?

Any help is much appreciated.

This is for studio monitoring, right? Your main pair?
What kind of price range are you in and what brand/model are your speakers?

On a budget you can get a little two channel 'reference amplifier' from samson or alesis.
I have the alesis ra150 and would just as soon use an old marantz/denon/yamaha consumer amp.

Your best bet would be a somewhat older receiver or integrated amp--Unfortunately the ebay speculators have glommed on to these now and the prices are going up. I got an '80's receiver at a thrift store about a month ago and it works pretty well, 100 w/ch. gives lots of headroom with my speakers and should hold up for a while, given that it's getting used on a regular basis again.

This is for studio monitoring, right? Your main pair?
What kind of price range are you in and what brand/model are your speakers?

On a budget you can get a little two channel 'reference amplifier' from samson or alesis.
I have the alesis ra150 and would just as soon use an old marantz/denon/yamaha consumer amp.

Yeah these are for home studio monitoring (it's not much of a studio!), but they're my main pair.

The speaker brand is polk audio and I was hoping I could pick up something decent for $500 or less, however I would be willing to pay a little more if there was nothing decent for that price. Quality of amp is more important to me than cost.

Thanks for your help

Ah, ok. I'd get onto the local classifieds then and look for an old denon or something.
Just see what's available in integrated amplifiers then do some googling. It's not hard to find out what's respected and what's not. ;)

I use an old Leak Delta to power a pair of large 'hi-fi' speakers. It's no amazing amp but it certainly does the job for me.

Back