Looking for a soundcard that records multi-track to computer

Chris Fallen

Yeah, exactly what the title says. I'm looking for a sound card in the 500$ range (but if you know an extra good on, post up to 1000$ ones) that will record at least 4 tracks onto my computer but keep them as seperate tracks, not just recording them to one stereo mix.. I'd also prefer one with at least 4 XLR inputs instead of all 1/4 inch. Phantom power would be nice, of course.

Hm. That's all I can think about right now..

Suggestions and links, please.

Christopher

for $699, you can get the aardvark q10 that comes with 8 inputs/outputs, all with preamps, 4 with phantom power....

on the budget scene, you can get the Delta 1010lt which has 8 analog input/outputs (that are unbalanced) for $329...it only has 2 channels that have preamp phantom power but at that price you could add external units to take up the slack......

Here's a few alternatives. Get 2 decent soundcards ($100) and pick up n-track software ($40). This will give you 4 inputs recording to hard drive on a shoestring budget. If you need to record a full drum kit, go get an Arrdvark Q-10 ($749). Anything with 4 inputs or less will not give the amount of control over the drum kit needed in mixing. Well, it could be done, but you won't believe the problems until you try it.

Well I'm working on a small studio, so I'm thinking I might as well buy big instead of buy, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, and upgrade. Also, I've got two omnis that need phantom power, and I'd rather buy something that has it so I don't have to pay 50 bucks for a seperate source. Also, I want more than four tracks. :)

Christopher

I went with the Aark Q-10 because I plan to do full drum kit recording. It has the phantom power as well as HiZ inputs for guitars and dual XLR and 1/4 in jacks for each of the 8 inputs. Anyway, I figured I'd rather pay for the features and have them rather than pay a few hundred less and wish I had them later.

Well, now that I'm checking this out more.. I'm going to get a mackie mixer, too, for this, and the mixers have phantom power. So now I think I might get the 1010 cause it's cheaper and a lot of people say it's better than the Q10.

Christopher

That's cool. I don't intend to get a physical mixing console, so this works great for me. With the right components, it's actually pretty easy to get real studio quality these days.

if you are gonna get a mixer. id definitely go with the 1010.....i think someone posted that they are $490 at Bayview.....if you can do with unbalanced inputs and without a breakout box, the 1010lt goes for $329......

Okay, here's my plan:

Picking up a Delta 1010, lowest price is $490 at bayview (anybody got a lower one???)

Buying a Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO, lowest price I've seen so far (haven't looked a lot) is $529

Now, if I get those, will that let me record multi-track onto my computer at the same time? Like just mic everything up and then hit record and record up to eight parts at the same time?

Suggestions on substitutions on equipment (cheaper for a better item etc) are very welcome.

Christopher

Uh, you'll need a multitrack software program (Sonar? N-tracks, Cool Edit, Vegas, etc.), but I'm sure you already knew that, so sorry for the dumb answer.

After that, you're good to go. All 8 smokin' tracks AT THE SAME TIME, pal. :)

You won't get too many arguments on this forum with either of those purchases. Just off the top of my head, I would say Maybe 1/4 of the recommendations on this board are for Mackie mixers, the other 1/4 are for Delta 1010's, and the other 1/2 are for C1 microphones.

So all you gotta' do is get the C1, and you'll have the Homerecording.com all-star lineup. And Alan will be happy. And someone else will bash Alan for spamming. And Gidge will post a link to something. And someone else out there will ask "What's the best mic for under 50 cents." And Bluebear will post a smartass one-liner to a dumb question from a newbie. And Harvey will say someting and everyone will listen to his every word (as they probably should). And someone in the cave will say something totally irrelevant to anything. And after you get signed, Mackie will post your mug on their ads saying "it was the xdr pres that made the difference."

And . . . okay, Chess, time for bed.

damn im a day late and a link short......

remember the 1402 only has 6 preamps...dont know if thats a factor?....

also, ive never worked with the 1402....make sure you can get 8 channels out of the 1402.....

and skip the c1 and get a Marshall MXLv67......17.63% of my posts recommend it......

and check out my new custom title......

Hm, only six pre-amps.. I guess that'll do. I'd like to have 8 to match the Delta, but you take what you can (barely) afford, right? :)

Anyway, I was wondering how you connect the mixer to the delta. There's not an out for every in, is there? I was thinking that you'd put the mic into a channel, take the output from the same channel and go to one of the inputs of the delta, and just do that for every channel, but it doesn't look like there's an output for each.. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I like to think of it as 'uneducated.' Help.

My guess is that the XLR plugs are the inputs and the 1/4 inch jacks are outputs? I dunno. I included a pic here for you to look at just for easy reference..

Christopher

Attachments

• mackie.jpg
    mackie.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 48
Ahahahaha... Nice title Gidge!

Well, anyhow.. I noticed you were waiting for someone to comment it... I thought i might do you that favour :)

"AlanHyattFanClubPresident"

Look people... its under his name! :eek:

I was thinking of aquiring the same setup. Delta1010 with a mackie mixer... only I was probably going to opt for the 1642.

Problem is, I noticed that those online prices are FAR cheaper then I found anywhere in Ontario, Canada. I was wondering if anyone in Southern Ontario has had any experience with ordering from a US based online-sales service. Specifically, what kind of duties and other charges would I expect (among exchange rate problems)

MOTU 896. Just a little over $1000 -- firewire (so you can easily move it from one machine to another) , 8 pre's (XLR - 1/4 TRS) with phantom power.

Very tough to beat if you have a Mac. MOTU h/w works OK with PCs, but awesome with Macs.

goon

Chris, to answer your question...

The 1/4 are also inputs. The outputs are on the back and believe you can bus up to four channels with that unit. I believe it would be tricky to do more utilizing the alt 3/4 feature.

Check out the Mackie forum for the accurate stuff.

Have fun.

Bighand

So going in one end and out the other (so to speak) track for track is called bussing (I always wondered what that was). So if I want to go in with eight different mics/inputs and keep EIGHT SEPERATE TRACKS to go to my computer, I'd need eight busses on my mixer?

Christopher

Chris Fallen said:
So going in one end and out the other (so to speak) track for track is called bussing (I always wondered what that was). So if I want to go in with eight different mics/inputs and keep EIGHT SEPERATE TRACKS to go to my computer, I'd need eight busses on my mixer?

Christopher

Actually, no.

A Bus (as far as mixer lingo goes), is a master fader for a defined collection of tracks.

In essense, it allows you to group a set of faders into one fader so its easier to say, adjust the volume. 1 fade is alot easier to move then 8.

A Bus can carry a set of people from point A to point B all at the same time.

The 1402 I beleive is a 2 bus mixer. And then they have this "Double bussing" thing which is what that "alt 1/2" and "alt 3/4" deal comes into play.. read mackie's site to know about that stuff

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you don't need 8 busses for 8 tracks (though you can).

Each track on your mixer should have a line/direct out as well as a line/mic in. Well, not all mixers will, but I beleive the 1402 has at least 8. Otherwise you can also use your channel inserts which can use them TRS plugs for Bi-directional transfer. Or just a reg 1/4 cable and fudge with how far the cable plugs in to get your I/O

Back