Looking for a songwriting partner....

uncle sixer

I was wondering if anyone has solid advice for finding a songwriting partner(s)...

First of all, I am not in this to be "in the business" and anyone collaborating with me would need to be somewhat like-minded. I am an old dude who loves rock music, but I have a career and a family. For the last year, I had an itch that got scratched by playing a few gigs with my buddies and recording some covers. Lots of fun, but they all have careers and families, too. And, there is still a certain itch I have that isn't getting scratched... I have music ideas that I want to turn into real songs, not just random jams with no lyrics in my friends rehearsal space, ya know?

I am fairly proficient on guitar (electric and acoustic) and bass. I can play drums and keys a little, but I honestly do way better programming a lot of that stuff... I am also pretty decent at home recording and mixing and collaborating remotely.

Problem is I hate the sound of my own voice (I know, a lot of us do) and I am not good at writing lyrics.

My restrictions: I live in a small town/not a huge music scene and, of course, TIME.

So I would like to find a lyricist/vocalist to work with, as time allows. I can deliver pretty decent demos and I would be willing to arrange parts however it would suit somebody who is legitimately interested in making something with me. I could take dry vocal stems or stems with FX added (or both, ideally). I would share writing credit for anything that turns into something.

What I am not interested in is paying somebody, sorry. Looking for someone who is my vocal counterpart... I play music because I love it, not to be paid. I need the same thing in a lyricist/vocalist ideally. I mean, maybe we do get paid if something is really good, but we need to get there first.

So, where do I look? Kompoz? Fiver? right here in the forums? Idk, the new year is around the corner and I have some resolutions (no pun intended).

Thanks.

Jamie

you wont find people doing it gratis on fiver i dont think .. and i really dont like the sound of my voice but others do ( they get paid weekly to say that )

id be happy to help with lyrics tho , thats one of my forte's

Thanks, guys.

Mark: maybe I will post something tonight to represent one of my projects in need of lyrics if you or anyone else here is interested

Mjb: that link you gave looks promising, I will be checking that for sure

This, for instance is something I have that is just intro, then like an A part, B part repeated and an outro. If someone was interested in writing/singing over that, I would re-record and arrange in any way that might suit needed verses, choruses, etc. I could also transpose to suit a vocalist if needed.

BTW, as for production quality, that is decent I think, but I had only had my DAW about 2-3 months when I made that (like 2 years ago) and I think I do much better these days.

This, for instance is something I have that is just intro, then like an A part, B part repeated and an outro. If someone was interested in writing/singing over that, I would re-record and arrange in any way that might suit needed verses, choruses, etc. I could also transpose to suit a vocalist if needed.

BTW, as for production quality, that is decent I think, but I had only had my DAW about 2-3 months when I made that (like 2 years ago) and I think I do much better these days.

I love it .. sort of early Doobie Brothers and Sly and the Family and a bit of later Isleys.. I have a few vocal and lyrical ideas that I hope you will let me send.. thanks..

I love it .. sort of early Doobie Brothers and Sly and the Family and a bit of later Isleys.. I have a few vocal and lyrical ideas that I hope you will let me send.. thanks..

The sort of vocal that would be right for the track. I can sing and play, I am primarily an older 57 year old guy who plays mainly guitar and some keyboards and who sings and writes a few songs, so would be great to team up if you want. I am just starting with DAW as well but have a load of old recording gear from my time at music college 30 years ago but it is taking me time to learn it all again. So in that respect would like to give it a go.
Thanks
Stephen 👍

The sort of vocal that would be right for the track. I can sing and play, I am primarily an older 57 year old guy who plays mainly guitar and some keyboards and who sings and writes a few songs, so would be great to team up if you want. I am just starting with DAW as well but have a load of old recording gear from my time at music college 30 years ago but it is taking me time to learn it all again. So in that respect would like to give it a go.
Thanks
Stephen 👍

Stephen, thanks for your interest. I am 47... also spent many years away from the music and have been back at it recreationally for a few years now.

Do you know how u[load a wav file (prob from google drive) and drop it into your daw? What I have done for other remote collabs is give a stereo mix (a stem that starts on a measure downbeat) and the BPM.

You can then copy/paste parts if you want to rearrange stuff, or let me know if you want me to do that, change key, whatever. Try some scratch vocals over that, send back to me. Then if we are on the same page, I will polish things up and send a nice stero mix arranged to suit your vocals.

Then you make your tracks parallel with that. One lead vocal, several takes, maybe. BU vocal takes if you want. Maybe you have a keyboard or guitar idea... if you are using effects on any of your takes, it is nice to have a dry (direct) track and an effected track (you can always just send dry tracks unless there is a particular effect you have in mind). Then you send your tracks back as stems (separate wav files that start on a measure down beat) and I download them to start working on final mixdown.

It is a bit of a process, but the final product can definitely be worth it. I have had fun with a few other remote collabs, just not from my own music yet.

Due to my real life priorities, most of my music work is done after the kids go to bed and before my bedtime, so like 9:30 to 11:00 on a good night and weekends vary... so if you can be patient with me, we will see what happens. If that all sounds good, I guess msg your email address to me and I will get in touch off the public forum and share some things with you.

Jamie

here is an example of something I did recently where I did all the backup tracks and my friend sent vocals remotely. He had some effects on and didn't send a dry track so I just put them into my daw, ran them through the reverb bus and master compression, and set the level. His high (Chris Cornell) part was a separate track and it didn't come out so well, so I kept his low (Eddie Vedder) part and added the extra guitar part to fill-in. I think it plays pretty well, fun to listen to.

here is an example of something I did recently where I did all the backup tracks and my friend sent vocals remotely. He had some effects on and didn't send a dry track so I just put them into my daw, ran them through the reverb bus and master compression, and set the level. His high (Chris Cornell) part was a separate track and it didn't come out so well, so I kept his low (Eddie Vedder) part and added the extra guitar part to fill-in. I think it plays pretty well, fun to listen to.

Nice, good singer. I am more of a simple singer, I dont have his country rock expression.

Thanks for your reply Sixer, I will try to reply soon bud.

Its stuff I like, I loved Chris Cornell, lots of influences. But you know, Tom was not a great singer but mixed the influences up.

This just had everything.

Take care and have a good Christmas mate 🥰

Back