Looking for a new tube amp

I'm looking at finally buying a really good tube amp instead of these sub $500 amps that do okay, but don't really fully deliver what I want. I'm looking at a separate head and cabinet to give me some versatility for different configurations in the future. For what I play, I really don't need anything over 50 watts, and 30 watts is probably enough.

I'm looking at 2 different possibilities right now. First of all, I really like the sound of a good Marshall half-stack (probably the vintage ones, based on the artists I've listened to), but I can't afford vintage, and I've heard about the legendary unreliability of the newer models. Anybody know of anything that sounds like a Marshall but isn't? One of my friends mentioned the Mesa Stiletto series, but they're freaking expensive.

The other thought is the Vox AC30CC amps, which are supposed to be very accurate reissues of the old AC30 Top Boost amps. The new Vox's first reissues really sucked, but the CC (Classic Custom) versions are supposed to be much more accurate. Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks!

What budget are you looking at? If your looking at the >$500 where would you draw the line? I also imagine that you'll get as many different answers as replies... go to your local music store and try some amps out, I think it will be more helpful than everyone thowing different amps at you. That said, I would recommend a few amps.
Matchless amps are GREAT amps, they're what marshall wishes it could be (personal opinion of course)
Carr amps are great amps, great tones
Marshall amps are well known, and you probably won't be dissapointed
I am intrigued by the new vox amps, they almost seem too good to be true. They're made in china, and very similar to the older ac-30s. Haven't tried one, and I would be worried about durability and reliability (not that the old ones have much reliability either), but they have potential to be very cool amps for the money.
Another suggestion I would make would be an old 60s bassman. Workhorses man. What marshall wanted to be. I like the blackface version, there is also a blonde version and silverface version. There seems to be a cult surrounding each of these versions, do a search online.
Yep.
Rory

Good question that I forgot to include. Probably the upper range of my budget is about $2000 for head and cab, but I could probably stretch that another $500 if it would be worth it.

I know there's no replacement for actually sitting down and playing some amps, but I was just looking for answers to point me in the direction of a Marshall replacement. Thanks for the reply!

Unless I missed it, you didn't say what kind of music your play, or what kind of sound you are after.

With that budget, definitely check out www.matchlessamplifiers.com. The clubman is one of my favorites. You could most definitely get a dealer to cut you a deal on the head and cab. One of the nation's top dealers is indoorstorm.com, based in Raleigh, NC. They do TONS of business online and ship extremely quickly. Tell them Rory sent ya!

edit:
Afterthought... why not get a combo???

Have you ever played a halfstack?

No? Then you don't need one. Trust me.

Spend that money one combo amps...or at the very least, only get a one 12" speaker cab.

For that money I would get this....

*Budda, Matchless, BadCat, Mesa, Soldano, etc. (head or combo...no more than 15-20 watts tops. They will be loud, but they will offer saturation you WILL NOT get with a 50 watt head and 412 cab. Plus, those should ALL have a speaker out....or a detachable speaker so you can get another cab later on for 'variety'.)

Thanks guys! My original thought in getting a separate head and cabinet was the flexibility it can allow. I could switch out the head or the cab in the future without having to replace everything. I've been using combos so far and I don't really have anything against them. I was just thinking I'd try something a little different.

Outlaws, the reason I was thinking 50 watts is because I have run into a few situations at live gigs where the 30 watts of my peavey classic 30 just wasn't quite enough (loud drummer, and miking my amp was not an option), and I've never really been satisfied with the air moving capability of a single 12" speaker.

Maybe the problem with my classic 30 is that I was driving the speaker too hard. I took out the 60 or 70 watt Peavey Blue Marvel that was in it and put in a made-in-England Greenback, which is 25 watts. Maybe I'm breaking into speaker distortion too soon. The sound did improve when I added a 1x12 extention cab that I loaded with an identical Greenback.

Codmate, you aren't kidding that fenders can cut the mix! The other guitarist in our band is using a Hotrod Deluxe and that thing can make some really piercing sounds. He uses it well, but the fender tone just doesn't really fit my playing style.

As to what I play, think somewhere between U2 and Switchfoot. Basically anything from ethereal, effects laden fills to meaty post-grunge riffing to brash punk (ok, ok...maybe more like pop-punk) grooves.

So...who can give me a link to the one single amp that is the best at absolutely everything? :D

Find an old bassman blackface head. They go cheap ( i see for $400-500 often) and theyre what the original Marshalls were cloned after. That and a 2x12 cab will be a killer sound.

Try out the Voxes. Theyre great if thats the sound you want. U2 AND Switchfoot use Voxes, one of the guys in Switchfoot used to use an Orange AD30 head, I'm not sure if he stil does. Those are great amps, too. Theyre a cross between Marshall and Vox to me.

H2H

I like those Peavey amps, those Classic 30s are monsters when you plug them into an extension cab.

I don't think that getting a half-stack will guarantee flexibility you can't get out of a combo (although its hard to get that crushing, heavy, crunching distortion through without the thump of closed back cab...) The flexibility will be in the variety of tones you can get from the amp, which is dependant on design, and that is gonna be dependent on how good you are at dialing in the different tones...

Lots of good suggestions so far... I don't think you're gonna find what you're looking for in a Fender combo, not even a Bassman or a Vibro King. The Mesa stuff is very popular right now, so you can be like everybody else and get a Dual Rectifier. Outlaws other suggestions were good too, if I had $2000 plus to spend on an amp, I would get something like a Matchless. If you're a bit more budget-minded then Reverend's amps look VERY cool...

sile2001 said:
Outlaws, the reason I was thinking 50 watts is because I have run into a few situations at live gigs where the 30 watts of my peavey classic 30 just wasn't quite enough (loud drummer, and miking my amp was not an option), and I've never really been satisfied with the air moving capability of a single 12" speaker.

In this case a 412 cab might be the ticket for you. But honestly, you should try just a 412 cab with the Peavy...it might be all you are missing.

Hmmm...hadn't thought of that. Maybe the cabinet is the problem... What I've been missing so far is that low-end crunch that Hi_Flyer mentioned. The Classic 30 is (obviously) an open-back combo, and when I added that 1x12" closed-back extention (keeping the combo speaker active), I did get some added low end, but it still didn't feel like enough. Maybe I'll take it to some stores around here and run it through different cabs to see what I get.

Now that my C30 is out of warranty, I'm going to start modifiying it (swapping capacitors, bypassing certain circuits, etc...). Supposedly, a C30 with the right tubes and some changes to the circuitry can take it into the class of $2,000 amps in a hurry. Guess I'll just have to try it for myself.

sile2001 said:
Hmmm...hadn't thought of that. Maybe the cabinet is the problem... What I've been missing so far is that low-end crunch that Hi_Flyer mentioned. The Classic 30 is (obviously) an open-back combo, and when I added that 1x12" closed-back extention (keeping the combo speaker active), I did get some added low end, but it still didn't feel like enough. Maybe I'll take it to some stores around here and run it through different cabs to see what I get.

Now that my C30 is out of warranty, I'm going to start modifiying it (swapping capacitors, bypassing certain circuits, etc...). Supposedly, a C30 with the right tubes and some changes to the circuitry can take it into the class of $2,000 amps in a hurry. Guess I'll just have to try it for myself.

Classic 30's are really good one / two trick ponies.

They do pretty much what a Blues Jr. will do; and roughly emulate a Vox-30.

Unfortunately, any time you try to get any gain / crunch out of it, it just gets farty. Like it's taking a big crap. They own the midrange, but I wouldn't count on getting much low end out of it; it's not their thing.

Based on what you're looking for, I'd try and audition a Marshall JCM-2000. Someone just started a thread on that one, in fact. You might want to join in on that thread, as there appear to be some owners / users pretty heavily involved in that discussion. I'm not a player, but I am an engineer, so I'm constantly listening to different types of amps, so I know pretty much what they're all capable of ... and the JCM-2000 just stikes me as being one of the most versatile in terms of the kinds of tones you can dial in, including most of the ones you mentioned.

It can sound like your Classic30, easily, but it can also sound like ... well, a Marshall.

eh... I honestly don't think a bunch of mods will make it that much "better", it will only make it different. High quality NOS tubes will probably last longer, but you may not like the change in tone. A nice Weber or Jensen speaker may change the frequency response a bit and it might have an effect on volume depending on the efficiency of the speaker, it may break up a little bit earlier too... But none of this stuff is gonna make the amp sound like a 4x12 half stack. I got sucked into that whole "mod mentality" only to be relatively disappointed with the results. of course, your mileage may vary...

on the other hand, switching from a small open back cab to a 4x12 cabinet makes a world of difference.

Eventually, you'll get sick of dragging that half stack around though ;)

I really do think that those little Classic 30s are pretty versatile, tone-wise. They may never sound as good as a Dual Rectifier, but they are a fraction of the cost.

When talking that kind of money you might want to check out the Gear page message board. Those guys live and breathe nice amps. Join the site and ask the same question with as much detail you can provide. Read all the other posts too. Go to the amps and cabs section.

http://thegearpage.net/board/

chessrock said:
... and the JCM-2000 just stikes me as being one of the most versatile in terms of the kinds of tones you can dial in, including most of the ones you mentioned.

They're awesome. I'll never give up mine. Same goes for my Vox AD120, though. Those are the 2 amps I'm keeping forever. And Ive owned a TON of amps, plenty to know whats good!

H2H

Hi_Flyer said:
eh... I honestly don't think a bunch of mods will make it that much "better", it will only make it different. High quality NOS tubes will probably last longer, but you may not like the change in tone. A nice Weber or Jensen speaker may change the frequency response a bit and it might have an effect on volume depending on the efficiency of the speaker, it may break up a little bit earlier too... But none of this stuff is gonna make the amp sound like a 4x12 half stack. I got sucked into that whole "mod mentality" only to be relatively disappointed with the results. of course, your mileage may vary...

on the other hand, switching from a small open back cab to a 4x12 cabinet makes a world of difference.

Eventually, you'll get sick of dragging that half stack around though ;)

I really do think that those little Classic 30s are pretty versatile, tone-wise. They may never sound as good as a Dual Rectifier, but they are a fraction of the cost.

Well put.

Modifications are for fine tuning.

THD Univalve or the THD BiValve...nice studio tube cab, super flexible...can put just about any valve combo in it. I've had the Univalve for about a week now...can't put it away.

Back