Looking for a Mixer

M-Skeleton

I am trying to find a mixer to go with either a Teac 38 8track or a Tsr 8. Anybody have suggestions on what to get based on availability and such. I want to be able to record 8 tracks simultaneosly, what exactly does a mixer need to be able to do that? Is that where the busses come into play?

Also, would a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro do the job?

thank you

M

M-Skeleton said:
I am trying to find a mixer to go with either a Teac 38 8track or a Tsr 8. Anybody have suggestions on what to get based on availability and such. I want to be able to record 8 tracks simultaneosly, what exactly does a mixer need to be able to do that? Is that where the busses come into play?

thank you

M

You don't want to get the Mackie. Believe me. Costs too much, is not neccessarily better sounding and is not an ideal match for the 38 or TSR-8. If you want to record 8 tracks at once then you probably want to get a TASCAM M-300 series mixer like the M-308, M-312 or M-320. If you find a "B" version of these then all the better as it means it has phantom power. These can be found relatively cheap and sometimes in great condition on eBay.

Good luck,

Daniel

The M300 series mixers from TASCAM are indeed great boards but they are in fact 4 buss mixers so if you are using the buss routing system on them, they can only send out 4 tracks at a time.

However, they also feature a direct out on each mixing channel strip so technically, with a slightly different hook up regime, you could easily record up to 8 or more, (depending on the frame size of 8, 12, or 20 channels), in one pass.

I own two M312B mixers myself and love them! Very flexible, very clean and sound great.

Cheers! :)

the right board

So what mixer should I go with?

I just want to be able to record 8 channels at once, so does that mean i have to get a mixer with 8 busses? If so what are some mixers that match that?

If i did get the tascam M-308 how would i be able to record 8 channels at once?

Is the Tascam M 30 also a 4 buss mixer and would that be any better?

thank you for the help

M

M,

Though your questions seem simple to you, the correct answers require much detail and thought to construct.

I'll try my best.

First off, there is no "one" correct mixer choice. Many mixers will work to fulfill your needs and while I may offer a choice for you to consider, don't believe that my suggestion is the only one possible as the correct one.

If i did get the tascam M-308 how would i be able to record 8 channels at once?

As I explained in my previous post, yes, you could record 8 tracks, all with different parts, using the M308's direct out feature which outputs the mixer channel directly, via 1/4" jack to a channel of your choice on your recorder.

For when you are not using the direct out connections, you have a standard 4 buss architecture on the 300 series just as many other mixers do including the Mackie you mentioned.

The TASCAM M30 is also a 4 buss mixer but is an older design and is not as clean and functional as the 300 series that replaced it.

There is also a 500 series called the M512 and the M520. Both of these are true 8 buss mixers and will also do what you want them to do but they are rarer and harder to find in the used market.

M30's are cheap to buy used and are in abundance. The 300 series is a litter harder to find because they were significantly more expensive when they were new and consequently, less people bought them. The 500 series is rarer still...

If I used the M30 to record 8 tracks, would i be able to isolate those tracks, or would they all be recorded as is with no chance to pan and EQ?

Do you think it might be a better idea to buy a tape machine first, like a tsr 8 or teac 38 which I have a few leads on, and then finding a mixer to match it after?

thank you again for everything!

M

I am not entirely sure you can record 8 tracks at once with the M30 in that I don't believe it has the direct out feature that the 300 series offers?

As for panning, you always have that option available on playback, universally on all mixers designed for recording multitrack projects.

About what to buy first; That's between you and your wallet! :cool: :D

If you have a lead on a healthy machine, absolutely go for it! In the meantime, study more on what board is best for you and take the time to make a wise decision.

M-Skeleton said:

thank you

M

Look for an Allen and Heath GS3. This mixer will be all you will *ever* need.
Pre-amps are exactly like the DMP3s and the EQ is great.

It is an 8 buss board with 24 inputs. It also has mute automation if you are so inclined to use it. A great board if you can find a good one.

Yes. I was being conservative. Still sounds too cheap either way. Are you sure they're not just a tinsy winsy bit rubbish? ;)

Mark7 said:
Yes. I was being conservative. Still sounds too cheap either way. Are you sure they're not just a tinsy winsy bit rubbish? ;)

You will not find a better built/sounding used board out there without going to $5000. I had one for a while on loan and it has a great EQ and excellent pre-amps. The pre-amps are the same on my A@H GL2200 32 channel board and are the as good as the DMP3 pre-amps. I have the DMP3 and tested the pres in the A@H boards. They sound identicle. The GS3 is built like a tank and is a wonderful board to have. The GS3 was from around 1995-7.

Maybe they are Identical ;) Did you look?

When I'm in the market for a new board the GS3 is definitely on my list. Ta Rocky.

Back