Looking for a mic pre... Help!

Gherkin

I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive dual mic pre that can be mounted in a 19" rack for mobile recording.

I'm not after cheap tubes - something solid state. Preferably not a wall wart. Two channels ONLY, with no EQ or compression.

Any ideas? :confused:

I'm not entirely sure yet. At the moment, it sits at about AUD$1000.

If it comes down to it, I might look at single channel pres...

I'm not sure about pricing or availability in AU, but the RNP is a very good, very versitile preamp (approx $500US) that does a great job with a wide variety of sources. It's a 1/3 rack package and does have a wall-wart power adapter. It can be easily bolted to a standard rack tray. When you decide to add compression to your setup, the RNC will snuggle right up next to it very nicely. The RNP is widely considered to be one of the best pres in it's price range.

Although it does have a tube stage (starved-plate design, I think), I'm also hearing good things about the Aphex 207D.

Again, I'm not sure about pricing or availability, but here's some single channel units that might also be worth looking into...
- DAV BG-1
- True Systems P-Solo

The DAV BG-1 might being getting cheaper if the exchange rate keeps dropping... Does Mick still do direct sales?

It should be about 25% less today (in the USA) compared to six months ago...

Sebatron and JLM Audio both have dual mic pres in that price bracket and they would be local. You may even be able to pick one up used given your location.

I'd already decided against the RNP, because of the wallwart. I've got a pair of RNCs that are great for the price, but the wallwarts have fallen out on me before while moving my rack case, any my rack case is going to get a LOT of moving. I don't really want wallwarts floating around on the move.

I'm going on tour with a band for a month or two, and am hoping to do some acoustic guitar, percussion and vocal recordings in hotel rooms, loungerooms and such. That's why I'm so hesitant about wallwarts...

Although it's got an external power supply, the Black Lion Auteur looks good... I assume the power supply it more of a line-lump. Does anyone know if it's rack-mountable?

I'm also toying with the idea of picking up a secondhand Presonus MP-20, solely because it will get the job done, and I can sell it at no loss when I'm done.

I'm looking to buy something that's a keeper, or secondhand. Thanks everyone for the help sofar!

Back