Looking for a live rig speaker...suggestions

kybdplr

Had a Roland KC500.....took a dump on me several years back...so Ive been using
a Mackie MS1202>Crown XL202>12" Community Cab with horn on bottom with a JBL
12" monitor on top. Boomy and bright with plenty of power to overcome loud guitar players
Am know looking for a new cab for the bottom....or a replacement speaker all together.
Yamaha A15? Berigher?? Peavey.....who make a great carpeted passive speaker these days..
Prefer Kevlar or at least a poly treated speaker.

Thanks guys

I have a Behringer KX1200 amp. It's got a 15", a horn and some sort of mid, maybe a 5". The thing sounds amazingly good, I think having a mid speaker really helps, especially since I play Rhodes sounds a lot which tends to get buried easily.

They don't make them anymore but I still see them around. I think new it was only $200, which was a bargain. The only bad thing is that it's heavy. The Tolex type covering they used was pretty cheap and doesn't hold up real well, but for what it is I'd recommend it.

For the record: compared to the Roland cube amps, the Behringer wins hands down. The Behringer also works as a pretty good bass amp.

As far as just buying a replacement speaker, Eminence speakers are good and very cheap. I bought a bass 15" and it was only around $90 delivered.

Just get a Leslie and be done with it! ... then get two strong friends to go to every show to move it for you. :D

:cool:

Had a Roland KC500.....took a dump on me several years back...so Ive been using
a Mackie MS1202>Crown XL202>12" Community Cab with horn on bottom with a JBL
12" monitor on top. Boomy and bright with plenty of power to overcome loud guitar players
Am know looking for a new cab for the bottom....or a replacement speaker all together.
Yamaha A15? Berigher?? Peavey.....who make a great carpeted passive speaker these days..
Prefer Kevlar or at least a poly treated speaker.

Thanks guys

I didn't see this amp mentioned in the other thread. It's a well built and great sounding amp for keys though :

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrie...702649&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=60257243

jbl jrx125 w/ well matched head

those rolands have given me plenty of trouble. I went through three and managed to get roland to send me two brand new. let me guess, your horn started to short out, then it went completely dead after you switched it off and back on. Zero sound but it would still turn on?

My understanding is that Because of power issues the horn is too hot, there is very little circuit protection on the Roland when the horn blows or even the diaphragm wears out it ends up toasting the amplifier section of the Roland.

What I did on the third one is buy an aftermarket horn (had to do some handy work with a dremel) that has a slightly higher RMS but not too high to be underpowered. I havn't had any problems since, done about 100 gigs with it and even better sound quality at the same price it would cost to repair.

The roland is fantastic as a stage monitor and for really small venues but if you drive it too hard without switching the horn it will bust eventually, usually JUST outside your warranty They recently reduced it to ~1.5 instead of 3 years, I suspect because of this very issue.

Since you seem turned off by Roland already, JBL JRX125 with a solid head is my go-to for bigger gigs. You can ask the guys what to pair with it, but I have been using a crown xti 4000 with a small mixer in front of it.

Comparable sound quality to the Roland, but a little darker with more headroom. You really get great tone out of these cabs for the price and the dual 15's rarely break up (unlike the roland) because of the crossover between the two 15's puts the lows on one and low-mids on another. Plus you can make yourself a rack and really cater your sound. A bit more expensive and cumbersome than an all-in-one but it's all you'd ever need.

I feel bad for you having to compete with guitar players for stage volume what a nightmare. Give them a lecture about how sensitive the human ear is :cool:

Also, if you get a head that has enough power to run two of them you can get another JRX125 cab down the road and have a really good start to a PA if it's something your interested in.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I've tried out plenty of keyboard amps combinations with plenty of loud guitar players. I'd stay away from the behringer's and peavey's, they really don't put out that great of quality. Peavey's have pretty good headroom but really it's not worth it. get a dual-15/horn cab.

Back