Looking for a decent preamp under $500.00

If you're looking for "warm" then I'd argue that you're using the wrong mic.

You could grab a GA Pre73 with a transformer option for around $500, but that's not going to give you "warmth" like a 7b or a FatHead or something along those lines.

I won't even get into compressing on the way in...

And I noticed another thread where that came up and you were given bad information (by the way). You can't compress a signal on the way in using plugs. You can *monitor* that signal through a compressor plug - But it won't 'record with' compression. Even a worse idea than running through a compressor on the way in IMO.

I just recently bought a Rode NT2A Condenser microphone, and it's currently running into a M-Audio profire 610, and i would like to get a seperate preamp/compressor to give my vocals a lot of warmth, any ideas? My budget is under $500.00.

Look for a Joemeek TwinQ - Used - about $500. all day long on ebay.

:cool:

And I noticed another thread where that came up and you were given bad information (by the way). You can't compress a signal on the way in using plugs. You can *monitor* that signal through a compressor plug - But it won't 'record with' compression. Even a worse idea than running through a compressor on the way in IMO.

Not that I support the idea, but you can "record" with plug-in compression with the use of an aux track placed before the audio track.

Not that I support the idea, but you can "record" with plug-in compression with the use of an aux track placed before the audio track.
Begs the question why? You're not compressing the input, you're compressing the output of the channel strip... so why compress at all at that point, leave it for the mix

Begs the question why? You're not compressing the input, you're compressing the output of the channel strip... so why compress at all at that point, leave it for the mix

Obviously if people were discussing it, someone wanted to do it. Some people might like the idea of printing the compression while recording just because. I would never do it that way, myself.

I just want to make sure the OP doesn't think that will actually alter the level of the input signal. It's not like it would prevent clipping or something along those lines... If the signal is too hot at the converter (which a good number are already doing), it's only affecting the digitized (and already damaged) signal.

I always record with my mic pre going through a tube compressor. I like it.

The Summit 1/2 rack stuff is where I'd look, I see their stuff on eBay.

Or buy an Art Pro VLA and run your vocals through that.

IM about to list a demo JM-130 on ebay, will be over $500.00 but is a GREAT pre..

Back