Looking For a Decent Condenser Microphone

NevPicasso

I'd prefer something cheap (think $150 tops) since it's my first real microphone. I've seen people recommending the MXL V67g but it looks like it's discontinued, or at least that's what it says on Musician's Friend but I wouldn't really know.

I have a Presonus Firestudio Project right now so I can provide phantom power. I'd like to use it to record my vocals primarily. I sing mostly light rock and folk so a clean warm sound would be best (though I'll take whatever works at the low price range). I'd also like to record a Taylor 114ce playing through a Marshall AS50D. If I need two separate mics for these recordings, that's fine I suppose.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

What kind of voice do you have? thin, boomy, shrill?

I really like my mk219s but for some reason harsh sources seem to gravitate to me.....
I have an nt1a that's proven useful on guitar but I don't think I've ever liked it on vocals.

Thanks guys, I followed PRHunt's link and ordered a V67g. Now I can't wait for it to ship to me! And at around $90, I still have some change to throw at some other toys :guitar:

Thanks guys, I followed PRHunt's link and ordered a V67g. Now I can't wait for it to ship to me! And at around $90, I still have some change to throw at some other toys :guitar:

Yep that extra $50-$60 bucks you've got leftover can go a long way! I'm guessing you already have a mic stand, but you should use some of that cash to buy a pop filter!

Good idea, I'll look into getting a pop filter. I don't have a mic stand but that's not part of the mic budget, I can buy one of those too. Any suggestions for one with an arm?

If you want a mic stand that will probably last longer than you do, get a K&M (König and Meyer).

These are an excellent product.

Paul

If you want an MXL, I have read good reviews of the MXL 2003a ($139). They say it is flatter in response than most MXLs (that would be good) - Joly likes it.

Of mics I own in that price range (B3, AT3035, M179, used MK319), I prefer the Oktava MK319 ($110 used).

If you want a mic stand that will probably last longer than you do, get a K&M(König and Meyer).

These are an excellent product.

Paul
I second this. I have a couple of them: beside being damn good looking with their grey mat finish, they are sturdy and heavy enough to stay in place even with big mikes.

Back