Looking for a cost effective XY stereo mic..

scottmd06

I'd like to find a decent, cost effective stereo mic for when I'm catching room ambiance. I like the fact that I wouldnt have to sit there and make sure I have two small diaphragm mics aimed in a perfect XY and could simply set up a stereo mic.. Any favorites out there?

The Rode NT4

Or the Avantone CK-40 for the same price but many, many more options. This is a must for all microphone lockers!

Last edited:
CK40... $600? really guys??? I said cost effective! lmao are you just being sausages cause I'm a noob here??

+1 for the Rode NT4. Which I've seen for $200-ish on craigslist.

If you're open to MS instead, the Shure VP88 is worth a look too. But still a bit pricey new-ish. Otherwise just get a Zoom H1, H2, H4n, or other all-in-one things that come that way.

CK40... $600? really guys??? I said cost effective! lmao are you just being sausages cause I'm a noob here??

This is cost effective - most good stereo microphones are in the $3,000 to $10,000 class.

ok im looking in the $50 to $200 range lol

At this price range is really rubbish class except for one or two.

I would say that the Rode NT-4 is probably the best, but it's awkward and expensive to windshield if you want to take it outdoors - indoors it's fine.

For outdoors look at the small Beyer stereo as it is a simple tube it's easier to windshield.

Both of these are at the top of your budget range, though.

But these are the very cheapest I would look at.

+1 for the Rode NT4. Which I've seen for $200-ish on craigslist.

If you're open to MS instead, the Shure VP88 is worth a look too. But still a bit pricey new-ish. Otherwise just get a Zoom H1, H2, H4n, or other all-in-one things that come that way.

This would have to be the thought of the day Scott! Are you against purchasing used?

The Rode used at $200. isn't bad at all! And I've seen the CK-40 used at Guitarcenter.com for $250. !!!

This may have to be the way to go. ;)

I shall probably find me a used NT4. How does that thing output to two xlrs? It looks like theres only one output on the mic..

I think it has a special cable (probably a short one) that outputs to two XLR plugs. Or connects to some box that has connections for that. I'm not really a fan of the form factor though. It's round body, is prone to rotate and end up being XY up and down, not left and right. And potential for other quirks related to that. More so when you tuck it inside a blimp where you can't really see the business end of the mic. Or the connecting cable and it's locking clip.

RØDE Microphones - NT4

It looks like it comes with a cable (or two).

I've been have great results with the CK-40 and the possibilities are ... well ... almost endless. At lest more so than the rode. ;) Try to find one used!

Also, if you order more than one Stellar microphone, I provide a 10% discount on our already low prices. Email me if you have any questions about multiple microphone purchases. Since the RM-7 is now on sale, further discounts are not possible.

:rolleyes:

What? oh yeah :rolleyes: guess I should read the whole listing. :D

I have a single ribbon Stella ..... it's not bad.

Not sure of US prices but I'd recommend a stereo pair of SE1A microphones, mounted on one of THESE.

The SE1A is a very good value small diaphragm condenser--I have several that I use alongside my AKG451s and 391s.

Bob

Not sure of US prices but I'd recommend a stereo pair of SE1A microphones, mounted on one of THESE.

The SE1A is a very good value small diaphragm condenser--I have several that I use alongside my AKG451s and 391s.

Bob

US price is +/- $350. for them as a stereo matched pair package with stereo mounting bar.

But at this price range you have a choice of many other stereo packages ..... including the Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD II Blumlein, Stereo Pair, Brown/Gold.

Back