Looking for a certain guage pick

357mag

I've been playing Dunlop Tortex .50mm for years now and for the most part they've felt pretty good. But I want to switch to something a little bit thinner. Fender thins are perfect but the problem is because they're made out of plastic they break extremely easy. I went through two of them last night at practice.

Specifically I'm looking for a pick that is around a .47 or a .48. I do have Dunlop nylons which are a .46. Fairly good but a .47 or a .48 would be better.

If anyone knows of such a pick please post.

Oh my God... I'm already using the Dunlop Tortex .50mm pick. I'm looking for something around a .47 or .48 that is more durable than the plastic Fender thins.

The guage is the same since that is a .46. But I think I will pick up a few of those. I may like them better than the nylons.

Oh my God... I'm already using the Dunlop Tortex .50mm pick. I'm looking for something around a .47 or .48 that is more durable than the plastic Fender thins.

Oh my God...i'm totally sorry for at least trying to help.

I read through your initial post quickly and thought I read .60 mm (which I use).

Again, my deepest apologies for at least thinking I was helping.

Didn't mean to frustrate you..

Just to be clear: you're using .50's and you're looking for .48's? Because you think .02--that's 2 one hundredths of an inch will yield some improvement???

Forgive me for sounding like an old timer here, but I've been playing for over 30 years. I use 2.0mm picks. (That's 200's in your vernacular.) In my pursuit of the "perfect pick" I never noticed a difference in any change less than a change say from .50 to .60--in other words .10 vs. .02. Even then the changes were negligable. When I jump by .5 or more, like 1.0mm to 2.00mm--now that made a difference.

Anyway, each to his own. I just had to jump in after you're "Oh my God" response to the guy just trying to be helpful. It's kind of ironic considering you're looking for a difference so subtle, you'll never say "Oh my God!" about your new picks.

Good luck...

I use the black Mel Bay picks with the texturing, and I've used them for more than 30 years. They are perfect for me, but the last batch I got I had to buy on ebay, and now that source has dried up. When I break the last one I have, I guess I'll have to hang up my guitars...

I can easily notice a difference between a .50mm and a .46mm. Very easy. I have been playing for over 30 years also. Just so you know.

I can easily notice a difference between a .50mm and a .46mm. Very easy. I have been playing for over 30 years also. Just so you know.

I'm happy for you. Still doesn't change the fact that you could have been more patient with the guy who was trying to help, even though he misunderstood your original post.

Just to be clear: you're using .50's and you're looking for .48's? Because you think .02--that's 2 one hundredths of an inch will yield some improvement???

Forgive me for sounding like an old timer here, but I've been playing for over 30 years. I use 2.0mm picks. (That's 200's in your vernacular.) In my pursuit of the "perfect pick" I never noticed a difference in any change less than a change say from .50 to .60--in other words .10 vs. .02. Even then the changes were negligable. When I jump by .5 or more, like 1.0mm to 2.00mm--now that made a difference.

Anyway, each to his own. I just had to jump in after you're "Oh my God" response to the guy just trying to be helpful. It's kind of ironic considering you're looking for a difference so subtle, you'll never say "Oh my God!" about your new picks.

Good luck...

You might want to try some of my 2mm hardwood picks especially lignum-vitae and ebony ( although I use several different woods ). Hard wood picks are the best tone generators IMO and I have used every pick type and gauge you can think of including gem stone.
My picks are reasonably priced and I put them up on EBAY from time to time.
Use "hardwood picks" as your search criteria and look for Penndel Guitar Accessories. I am selling a lot of them. I started making them for myself only then a lot of local players wanted them ... and a very small business was born. Made in the USA.

Back