looking for a better EQ plugin

crunkthanamug

Hi, Im wondering what you guys think the best EQ plugin is (excluding UAD and Powercore) Right now Im using Waves EQ...but Im not satisfied. Do you all know of any EQ with more than 10 bands??? Any help would be appreciated.

There really isn't that many graphic eq's out there. Nor, are there that many parametric's with more than 4 bands.

I think the Sonalksis 517 sounds outstanding though!

Also, KJAERHUS AUDIO stuff is outstanding! The Classic series eq, only a 5 band graphic is killer sounding, thus, I will have to assume that the GEQ-7 sounds equally as killer, but with better control! the http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/geq-7.php

The Sonitus EQ's in Sonar sound much better than Waves eq's in my opinion! I think you can still buy the Sonitus products seperate from Cakewalk.

The Voxengo stuff sounds better than Waves in my opinion.

The Sonalksis and the KJAERHUS AUDIO stuff really are the two though that are on par with UAD stuff! These two eq's impart a certain "magic" to the sound. They have "flava"! :)

They are't graphic EQ's, but my favorite used to be the Sonalksis EQ. Until I tried the URS plugins. The API 10 band, the Pultec Pro, and the SSL emulations sound awesome for software:D

crunkthanamug said:
Hi, Im wondering what you guys think the best EQ plugin is (excluding UAD and Powercore) Right now Im using Waves EQ...but Im not satisfied. Do you all know of any EQ with more than 10 bands??? Any help would be appreciated.
Let me get this straight... You're using one of the most expensive EQ plugs made, but you want to exclude probably the best plugs available (from UAD and Powercore) for reasons that I can only imagine.

And you're looking for a parametric with more than ten bands?!?

Now, I've always made fun of Waves for having a parametric with 10 bands (how bad does a sound have to be to require 10 bands?) but maybe you can tell us what it is that you're not satisfied with...

Massive Master said:
Let me get this straight... You're using one of the most expensive EQ plugs made, but you want to exclude probably the best plugs available (from UAD and Powercore) for reasons that I can only imagine.

Now, I've always made fun of Waves for having a parametric with 10 bands (how bad does a sound have to be to require 10 bands?) but maybe you can tell us what it is that you're not satisfied with...

The reason i really dont wanna get a UAD or Powercore is because all i need is an EQ...why pay over $1000 for extra stuff i dont need when all i want is 1 plugin? But im all about quality, so if the regular plugins dont match up to a UAD i wanna know that (then maybe ill have to get one)
I dont like the Waves EQ because it doesnt sound "analog." I dont know if that makes any sense...ive got 3 band EQ on my Mackie mixer. I know thats not the best EQ, but to me it sounds better than the Waves plugin when applied to the same frequencies. The # of bands thing isnt really THAT high a priority for me, I just thought it could be helpful in "mastering."

Look into Waves Rennasiance EQ. I usually prefer this to the Q-series. Much more natural/musical sounding to me (as is the Renn. Compressor) You could probably pick up the Renn. Collection for a few hundred.

I have been using PLParEQ and it is amazing!!! - It only has 3-bands (there is a 10band version but costs 1000.00) but really thats all I need.

It is the most transparent eq I have used.

gd_vm said:
I have been using PLParEQ and it is amazing!!! - It only has 3-bands (there is a 10band version but costs 1000.00) but really thats all I need.

It is the most transparent eq I have used.

Oh yeah, I'll second that too. That is a great sounding EQ.

DId you pick up that 3 band when it was still free on the web site? I'm not sure how you would go about getting it now......
I'll have to check and post a link or something.

I don't think ten bands is that important of a feature. If you really needed more than the usual 3-5 bands you could always put a couple of eq's in series.

An eq plugin that I like a lot is the PSP Audioware "MasterQ". I also agree that the Elemental Audio called "Equim" is excellent. It's one of the few that is truly transparent and doesn't do anything bad to the signal at all, and I can say that about very few of the eq plugins I've tried.

crunkthanamug said:

The Sound Forge graphic EQ has a 20 band option if that will help. Ofcourse it isn't freeware and you'll probably have to purchase Sound Forge to get it, but because you didn't specify graphic, parametric or otherwise, I thought I'd tell you about the one with Sound Forge.

tulsa

Massive Master said:

I'm miffed as well

I really only see one option here..... URS

The reason I like them so much is because they are the only ones I haveever used that really sounded and felt more like using a console EQ than a plug in. Up until the URS lugins, the sonalksis was the closest I had found. The URS plugs are expensive, but in my opinion well worth it. In fact, I find them to be better EQ's than the UAD compressors compared to the real deal.

Back