Looking for a beat detection program

Mr songwriter

...and by that I mean a program (preferably free or shareware) that will allow me to import a WAV of a song and then analyse it to extract the beats and generate MIDI events that I can trigger drum samples with, I would also prefer one that is reasonably easy to get the hang of...and yes, I did Google for it, but didn't find much of interest.

To sum up, you're looking for a freeware or shareware software package to do some very difficult detection jobs on program material of unspecified length and then create an SMF as a template to fire other samples to? You say you've already Googled and I suspect you didn't find anything because there nothing out there that fits that description.

The three that spring to mind are Acid, Recycle and Drumagog, but all three are anything but free.

Maybe search here and just going to 'site search' --- unless you know exactly what you're looking for --- is usually futile. You need to go to the upper left hand corner of the home page and click on it. Then select your host, type of instrument you are looking for and don't forget to uncheck 'commercial' at the very bottom of the page.

ssscientist said:
To sum up, you're looking for a freeware or shareware software package to do some very difficult detection jobs on program material of unspecified length and then create an SMF as a template to fire other samples to?

Yes that's what I'm after, these would be shortish songs (3, 4 or 5 minutes)

You say you've already Googled and I suspect you didn't find anything because there nothing out there that fits that description.

The three that spring to mind are Acid, Recycle and Drumagog, but all three are anything but free.

Yes, I had a feeling that would be the case.

Maybe search here and just going to 'site search' --- unless you know exactly what you're looking for --- is usually futile. You need to go to the upper left hand corner of the home page and click on it. Then select your host, type of instrument you are looking for and don't forget to uncheck 'commercial' at the very bottom of the page.

Thanks. Will do.

Back