Looking Back (Gary Moore)

Real good playing. Love the lead tone.

The rhythm guitar is pretty thin sounding and way back in the mix. The bass is dominating it. The bass is also panned pretty far right. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a little odd these days.

The drums are pretty narrow. Mostly kick and snare. Cymbals are a bit thin and pulled back.

I really like the original too.

Real good playing. Love the lead tone.

The rhythm guitar is pretty thin sounding and way back in the mix. The bass is dominating it. The bass is also panned pretty far right. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a little odd these days.

The drums are pretty narrow. Mostly kick and snare. Cymbals are a bit thin and pulled back.

I really like the original too.
Thank you!
I really gotta work on my mixing....!

Jeff

I will admit to one thing....this is almost the ONLY song that I had to do a punch-in to fix a part of a solo.
Middle solo after the first 2 verses...doubt you can tell, but I know where it is and I sure notice it!

Jeff

There were a few spots where it COULD have happened. But I couldn't tell where. It was smooth.
I'll spill the beans....
That middle solo runs through 2 verses. The super high notes with the vibrato as I enter the second verse, my finger slipped off the high E-string and I totally flubbed it! But I liked the rest of it so I went in and fixed just that.....lol

All my solos are improvised......on the spot.

Jeff

Yeah the rhythm tones are zz top and the lead is Billy gibbons all over. Bass is popping a bit in spots. Dusty would have that right back in the pocket :D

Yeah the rhythm tones are zz top and the lead is Billy gibbons all over. Bass is popping a bit in spots. Dusty would have that right back in the pocket :D
Pretty flattering to even be mentioned in the same sentence as ZZ Top!!!!!!
Thank you!

Jeff

I listened to this back in July. Liked it then, like it now. I'd like to see a video version of this.

Sounds like a ZZ Top song - good job.
Yeah, especially the vocals. Got that Billy vibe.
Guitar playing is great as well.

Mix could use some work though. To my ear the drums sound a bit cardboard-ish. While the performances are good, the mix is lacking some depth and space. Seems like all the focus on the mix was invested into the guitars, which sound great. But someone brought up the rhythm guitar being a bit thin and low in the mix. I agree with that.

Everything is good, but personally, I wouldn’t call it done yet. Just a bit more tweaks to give it that record polish.

Last edited:
Love your guitar tone! Vocals do have a ZZ Top vibe, maybe a little smoother , less gravelly ;>) . Great jam man, I dig it!

Gary Moore is one of my favorites.

I agree with TripleM's comments. Bass off centered sounds a bit distracting to me. The usual approach is
kick and bass dead center, but there are always exceptions to rules. That said, I still think the bass would
work better centered and pan the rhythm guitars a bit. Good stuff.

Back