looking at cakewalk

BillyKid

Hi, been using a Roland VS840 for my recordings. I have hit the wall, so to speak, in terms of the quality I can achieve. At best (musicianship aside) I can make a passable demo, but barely passable by todays standards (seems a demo has to be as well recorded as a platinum record of 15 years ago to be worth bothering with). Have decided to go to a PC based system and Cakewalk (in all it's many versions) seems most promising. Now, I have to confess, I am a recording/computor idiot.

I am not looking all sorts of fabulous options and effect - wouldn't even know what to do with them - all I want to be able to do is to make truly professional studio quality recording - you know, rich, hi fi vocals with depth and presence, acoustic and electric guitars that don't sound compressed beyond recognition, keyboards that don't sound like something from Casio. Am I correct in thinking, talent aside, that I will be able to do this using Cakewalk without going to engineering school?

Since this is the Cakewalk forum, I am assuming you are all Cakewalk devotees. Is it fair to assume that cakewalk offers the best package? I notice that some cakewalk packages cost almost nothing while others cost a pretty penny. Do some come with the appropriate soundboard? With the appropriate inputs for plugging stuff in? Some, it appears, come able to create a whole variety of sound formats and the ability to burn CDs. I must say, I find the whole business very confusing.

The way I figure it, I need a fairly potent, stripped down PC with 2 harddrives and a really good soundboard and some decent monitors and cakewalk and I am ready to kickass, ie. make recordings as good as anyone can in any studio (withing the limits of my engineering abilities). Is this true? I don't mind being limited by my abilities as a musician and a recordist, but I hate being limited by my equipment.

Please share any thoughts you may have. thanks, BK

Potent pc for Cakewalk

As fast as CPU you can afford,fast FSB (800Mhz),max out your RAM,
a fast hard drive with really short data access rates and fast spindle speed,
and a quality audio card with adjustable latency settings,you should be able to drop the latency down to at leasy 7 Msec.A decent cd burner of some sort,a nice video card.And a seperate wave file editor for the fine detail.

Make sure the hardware is supported by the software programs you buy.

get ready for some serious fun! :)

Back