lookin for some guidance

Doobs

i have a Tascam DP-008EX ...
had used it previously...sparingly...more time now :(...slowly coming back to me BUT what i do not recall dealing w/ before is a lot of "hum" on playback, in the headphones(samson) specifically ..but, some in the speakers (alesis) as well ...
those pieces are not top of the line, but, don't remember it a problem before ...

my comfort is recording as such:

T-1 guitar (taylor 414ce) ext in A ...then T-3 microphone (sterling S50) ext B and doing these initial tracks simultaneously...
i am wondering if this can be creating any problems ?

answers, any tips, greatly appreciated :thumbs up:

Pull everything out.

Is there hum?

Insert Taylor and check for hum. Then do the same with the Sterling.

Play some previously recorded material. Is there hum?

Doing these things may help identify the source of the hum.

hey grumps

between the geckos and frogs all over my yard i'm thinkin a day of reckoning might be coming !!! :(
but
did all that you mentioned ...

what seems (to me) to be most obvious is my guitar chord(s) tried 2, on diff guitars ...same thing = hummmmm
i don't really know, obviously, but seems like a grounding issue ?
lights, other stuff = no change ...just the guitar chord

to clarify ...the unit , Tascam, is plugged in w/ the A/C adapter ...that into a 6 outlet power strip that's in the wall outlet ...again i removed everything else from the strip to test...only other thing my limited self recognized is ;
when i place my fingers near the unit's A / B guitar inputs = hummin gets louder !

thanx !

Make sure they aren't speaker cables, which can look quite similar but are constructed differently. They might have printing along the jacket. If it says instrument then they're the right kind of cable. If they have nothing printed you can sometimes tell by unscrewing a shell and examining the wires. The proper cable will be coaxial, withe the wire from the tip of the connector surrounded by a shield (like a tube of wire) connected to the sleeve of the connector. A speaker cable will have two thicker wires running side by side.

Back