Lookin Fer A New Preamp

ROYAL

IM LOOKIN FER A PRE TO RECORD WITH.ILL BE USIN IT MOSTLY FER VOCALS.I HAVE A BABY BOTTLE AND A SP C3.I DONT WANA SPEND MORE THEN $500 OR SO.IVE BEEN LOOKIN AT THE RNP THE GRACE,SUMMIT AUDIO M-AUDIO TAMPA ECT. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO GET A GOOD COMPRESSOR FER IT SO IF IT DOESNT CUM WITH ONE IM GONA BUY A RNC TO GO WITH IT.I LIKE THIS PLACE CAUSE I READ MAGS ALOT BUT IVE NEVER READ A BAD REVEIW IN A MAG.EVEN IF THEY DONT REALY LIKE WHAT THEY ARE REVEIWING THEY DONT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ANYTHING

Seems like you are looking at a good list of candidates. And you're right about magazine reviews: everything they review seems to be the best they ever heard.

The best way, of course, is to try and compare. Some dealers will let you borrow two or three, especially if they are convinced you are serious about buying one. I know at least three places in Bosotn that let you do this - i'm sure there must be someplace in Detroit that will.

One more word of advice. Lay off the CAPS LOCK. It's really painful to read a post all in CAPS.

Im so sorry I didnt know that big letters hurt so much Ill try not to do that again.I was also thinkin bout the new focusrite pre (not sure the name)but it seems like alot of stuff packed into a box.I never see high end stuff with all those nobs and buttons.Just kinda makes me wonder ya no

Sounds like your budget is around $700 or less for pre/compressor.
You may want to wait to check out the upcoming Toft channel
strip, guesstimating it'll be $700 or less street price.
Go to www.pmiaudio.com and hit the Toft Audio icon for more info.
Will probably be a world class unit.

Chris

I've got an FMR RNP and a Grace 101. I've been very satisfied with them. I'd recommend either as a first quality mic preamp purchase.

The Grace is tight yet wide and clean. The RNP is thinner, tight and colored a tad. Both are very good DIs as well.

Steve
www.piemusic.com

Last edited:
Well, the nice thing about the RNP is that you'd get TWO channels for under five hundred bucks.
Then, if you get the RNC to go with it, you have two channels of pre's and compressors. So you could record stereo, yo?

I have a focusrite Green series voicebox, it's nice. pre, comp, eq, all in one unit. It's a step up from the platinum range. I paid $450 for it, I think, on ebay. I like it quite a bit, especially for vocals and acoustic guitar.

I also have a Meek VC1Q, which I like a lot, but it's a thicker sounding unit, which some people don't like. I like it BECAUSE of that on a lot of things-and it's super nice on some vocals, not so nice on others. Kills as a bass DI, electric guitar mic pre, even on some snare drums. It has a pre, comp, eq, etc. I paid $400 for it on ebay.

But overall, it depends on what works with the particular vocals you're going to be recording-and whether the extra flexibility of, say, a two channel preamp would be useful or not. I've not really heard a bad thing about the Grace units, they'd certainly be a good choice.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Hey I cant find vintagekingaudio.Please send me some more info Im real interested.I need a good place to buy recording shit

Thanks fer the web site Im at work so I have to wait till I get home to jack off and dream bout buyin everything they have.

Back