Look at what this guy is auctioning off!

Audiophallic

Not affiliated in any way, but I was watching an auction for a/the master tape for Marillion's Market Square Heroes single, and out of curiosity, I checked out the guy's other auctions.

http://myworld.ebay.com/4052pauld/

Holy crap, I never knew people did this. The Marillion tape sold for 350.00, which doesn't seem like much to me, if this is genuine. What a hell of a souvenir, if nothing else, but HOLY CRAP, IS THIS EVEN LEGAL? HOW did he get ahold of these!

:spank:

That is weird. Looks like they were all recorded at Wessex sound studios. He's got Elton Johns "Empty Garden" too. Probably just an alternate mix?

It was my understanding from the notes that it is all takes: the one used on the album plus any alternates, but I could be wrong.

Legal to sell? No idea. Legal to play back? Probably not.
I don't know how people get them in this case, since they seem to be actually rare.

Other times I've seen people selling compilation masters which are second-generation dubs for "Best of Status Quo" or somesuch. I almost got one of the Status Quo ones, but was very tight on money at the time and lost it for such a low a price I'm ashamed to mention it.
I suspect in the latter case - where there's loads of copies of it - the studio has a clearout and chucks it into a skip or gives the employees first dibs or something.
In a similar vein - obvious clearouts - I have a C-format of Duran Duran video which I bought as a curio (since I don't have a 1" VTR), recently lost on a copy of the "All Stand Together" video by Paul McCartney, and won six TV commercials from a Welsh studio which I belatedly discovered could not be adapted into 1/2" spools :rolleyes:

Coming to music from the film score world, I know that film studios are notoriously troublesome when it comes to letting anything at all out of their vaults, even just to re-release something like a classic film score recording (I mean, we just got a complete release of Jerry Goldsmith's Alien last year). They fiercely protect their copyright, so it's surprising to see that record labels and/or the bands aren't jumping all over this guy immediately.

Busted? They're still there. :confused:

ELTON-JOHN-Empty-Garden-Studio-Master-Tape-RARE_W0QQitemZ160416076371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music_Other_Music_Formats_ET
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELTON-JOHN-Empty-Garden-Studio-Master-Tape-RARE_W0QQitemZ160416076371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music_Other_Music_Formats_ET?hash=item25598b1253

It says "bidding has ended on this item." Also, the seller doesn't currently have any items for sale...suspended maybe? I wonder if the Marillion tape got shipped already...man I would have loved to have that...I would have gotten a special PO box just to receive the thing. Oh well...

It says "bidding has ended on this item." Also, the seller doesn't currently have any items for sale...suspended maybe? I wonder if the Marillion tape got shipped already...man I would have loved to have that...I would have gotten a special PO box just to receive the thing. Oh well...

No they were all one day listings or were already near the end. I noticed that yesterday they were ending today.

Back