**** Long time DRUMMER/ENGINEER newbie ****

Poo On My Shoe

I have been a drummer for 30+ years...

Now my band thinks i'm a recording engineer?

CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE A LISTEN TO MY NEW BAND!

STORIES UNDER STONE - From Tacoma WA

I recorded this demo myself and think i did ok for a first timer....

http://storiesunderstone.com/mp3.htm

What are your thoughts?

Please post a full review of the music and the mix if you will...

thanks, Dave Fender

Recorded with:
Soundcraft digital Spirit 328 Board
Fostex D160 HD Recorder
TC Electronics 96k Finalizer

First you'll wanna change your link to lowercase otherwise I couldn't get to it.

"http://www.storiesunderstone.com/mp3.htm"

Ok like the site, listening to "No Friend". Nice strong levels, good loud intro. Good metal guits, real drums sound sweet and since you the engineer are also the drummer I imagine that has a lot to do with why they sound so good.

Overall I think you've done a very good job production wise. I've got good separation in all the parts, everything very clear, eq wise nothing sounding out of sorts. I have my doubts about that vocal exit on this track though, maybe reconsider including that.

It sounds like the guys have done well to put their faith in you.

On this board, we want to attract musicians of your quality and caliber, and dedication. Welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing.

My experience on this board, idicates that newbie posters who slam the board with a request to review and listen to a bunch of tunes all in one post, do not understand this board.

I am not accusing you of egotism, or conciet.

I ask that you SHARE you experience and wisdom with other posters, as ultimately this is how YOU will become a better engineer, track mixer and mastering 'artist'.

It is further my experience that posters who request reviews of 'volumes' of work, do not end up participating in the board.

I encourage your participation, especially by reviewing other new member's work. So that the more experienced posters can come behind you and add their wisdom.

That helps a relative newbie like me who is 'in the middle' learn a tremendous amount.

Thanks for sharing, please stick around and participate, learn the language of mixing, and talk it with us.

Peace,
Pat Jack

sounds really good. didn't have time to listen to them all. the one thing i had a problem with is the drums. electronic drums ruin it for me. i just hate the sound of fake drums. i think if you at least used real cymbals it would sound better.

Let me introduce myself!

My name is David Fender, I live in Spokane, WA... I teach computers At Spokane Falls Comunity College and I enjoy music very much! So i travel 600 miles round trip to tacoma to rehearse & record with my band...

I came across this forum as i was looking into some good reading about home recording. I started reading the info here about 4 weeks ago. Mainly about mic placement and recording vocals.

Yes I used a roland kit but opted to record with a real snare!

I have a few drum sets. I plan on being around this forum for a long time! I have been apart of many forum in the past and still visit them!

My rolands
http://mydrums.home.comcast.net/roland.jpg

My slingerlands
http://mydrums.home.comcast.net/mydrum6.JPG

mix room @ my house
http://www.storiesunderstone.com/mix1.JPG

recording gear
http://www.storiesunderstone.com/mix2.JPG

Re: Let me introduce myself!

Poo On My Shoe said:

Yes I used a roland kit but opted to record with a real snare!

Ooops. I guess i don't know what i'm talking about. I thought they were real :o

But then again i disagree completely with being an acoustic drum zealot. There's plenty of commercial music out there using v or canned drums and it's finding plenty of sucess.

Re: Let me introduce myself!

Poo On My Shoe said:

Nice studio you got there. I'm planning on building one in the near future in my house but it will be little more than a large cupboard.

Listened to No Friend on headphones. It sounds awesome. A great rock metal mix. You're the drummer right? Good job, but lets hear some more bass drum. Snare sounds OK but I prefer something with more punch. Guitars, vox sound great. The song is itself cool, cool riffs. The change at 2.45 - needs something done with the drums, that ping ride really wants to cut through plus more bass drum

btw what did you mix with/on?

Hard rockin!

No Friend is all I had time to listen to. Sounds good to me. Well done. It's not easy to get the hard rock thing and keep the vocals clear. I think you've got a good balance going in this. Nice rythem change ups. Clean playing.

I think its well done--good job!

Welcome aboard

Listened to No Friend
This is totally NOT my style of music and yet to hear anything with this much QUALITY you just have to appreciate the EFFORT that goes into creating and producing music.
Nice studio BTW.
You will be a valuable addition to this BBS sir...............
Looking forward to coming attractions
:)

Deep
--------------
Clean big chords, like the secondary doubling stereo right, sounds like it's EQ'd a touch higher ? Vocal is mixed very well, on top, but not obtrusive, inbetween door #1 and #2, excellent for this genre ! I'm learning ! When the wailing guitar comes in at 1:04, it does so 'under the vocal' wow, great mix ! Drums are mixed well, and sound good, snare has a good whack, and some character also. Cymbal metal is not overdone, has good ring without 'frying' ... At 02:21, I can generally 'understand every word', performance pronunciation weakens towards the end, but it's still there, and the level on the vox is 'there'. The solo guitar at 02:41 is cool, it could have more low-mid, which would give it more punch, and you could definitely give it 2-4db more. Great singing, I mean great. I don't hear a lot of kick, and the bass and the bottom end of the guitar is so well mixed with the bass, there's very little seperation.

fallo
--------------
Guitars, same comments as in 'Deep'. Vocal a little more understandable. As 'Deep' , the entire mix is screaming for 'mastering', seek comments from The Ghost of FM on making this puppy hot as a firecracker :D . Backups are well-placed at 1:10, and well mixed, like they are a secondary lead, very nice and again at 1:26, well-done on the backups. Running the vocal track throuh an enhancer like 'Soundforge' enhancer. *Fuck-Backups* at 2:02 off the tail-end of your hair-raising vocalization there are excellent. You have got the backup vocal mix-technique pegged here. Guitar and pinches very well performed. I need more bass generally, experiment with EQ here. I was going to say to craft a quick outro after the spoken part, but I like the molasses dripping ending. Yeah , cool.

iwishi
--------------
The technique of starting a mix with the guitar stranded at 3:00 right, and then bringing another in at 9:00 precise is very, very difficult to pull off, just bringing them in a few hairs towards center makes this whole thing much, much more effective. Or starting them near that point, and panning them inwards or outwards. To let them stay there is problematic, because we don't really 'hear' just like that ... IMHO. And when the vocal comes in, I'm finding this guitar mixing technique a bit repetitive as we've heard it before. As you are heavily in the genre througout, you've got to really throw a different mix at us here at this point. Cool beast voice at 01:40. Just for kicks, triple the beast voice, stick one hard right at -9db, one near the center at -3db, and one hard left -12db, and then experiment with subtle amounts of 'different' effects on each. IMHO. And that is different enough where it qualifies as 'different' mix, it's up in our face, direct center ... geez your breath stinks kind of thing ... :D Generally the guitar solo is well-mixed, it rises above the mix, but does not enter into the vocals territory, good headroom development on the whole mix. Dude, your mixing abilities are excellent. I look forward to improvements in other MP3 clinic member's mixes from your reviews ... sorry I can't do a lot for yours except praise :D .

mindsmoke
-----------------
Drums are very verby generally in the beginning. Bass is missing some of it's lowest frequency components, IMHO. I don't have a great ear for the bass mix yet, that's one of my weak spots. What you are doing with your guitars throughout is the MOST effective use of the BALLS to the wall guitar I have ever heard on this board ... with respect to preserving the vocal mixes integrity. If you could concentrate on teaching that one single technique through review and sharing how you did this ... a lot of posters are gonna rock harder, and harder. You have a lot of room in all these tunes for experimentation with effects, solid, solid track performances. Good signals, clean performance. And then there's mastering. At 03:00, here's something very different, the snare is to loud here, slather it in verb and delay ... pan those backups out around the instruments, not the other way around, and when real words start forming, then bring the vocals inside, the instruments outside, do an inversion sandwich. And what I'm saying, is you have something very, very different here, and that can hook us in this EP, so ... make something very different mix-wise of this section. Great picardy third ending ... and that little whatever 'ring-buzz' at the very ending, irratating as hell hook that could hurt, but it does not, very good ! I'll never forget that last sound therer ...

no friend
------------
Ok, I've got left guitar close to center, and more active with 'the riff' and right guitar out about 2:00 o'clock, and I like that, the guitars could come down a tad in the vocal, and this is really an opportunity for mix differentiation. Hey, is that 'Grouch' from sesame street as a guest vocalist at 01:07 ? I like ... 'Grouch' is always so difficult to get along with ... but put him in some headbanging rock and he fits just right ! I hope he didn't litter the stage with his favorite garbage. And then yelling cusswords from deep in his garbage can ... tsk, tsk ... nice use of a 'super-plate' for flanging there ? kewl. Dude, I'm exhausted, nice show ! Thanks for sharing and WELCOME TO THE BOARD !

studioviols,

I would like to thank you for the time and effort that you spent listening to our music! Your comments make a lot of sence to me. I have not had too much experience recording, but am a true lover of music! All Music....

I will look for some of your posts, and take a good listen to your recordings.

Once agian, I thank you and everyone here who took the time to listen and leave some comments!!!!

Dave Fender

Last edited:
I listened to No Friend. Personally I think this would sound more "authentic" with less reverb. A lot of the details are being washed out by the verb. I would probably cut the verb by about 50%. I'll bet it actually sounds bigger with less verb.

I think the whole drum level could come up a bit, with less verb on the snare too.

Honestly, I didn't care for the vocals. I listen to a lot of heavy music, but I don't care for the Sevendust type stuff personally. It just doesn't sound real to me.

I hope I haven't irritated you with the negatives, but I just don't feel right gushing over stuff that I think could be improved.

The band is tight. The recording is ok. The production needs work. The singer kind of annoys me. I think you're doing a really good job as "engineer" and your drumming is good too. Those are my tiny little opinions. It's nice to see some real drummers around here... Welcome to the clinic!

Tom

no friend - good song! I like the vocalist.. good guitars.. sounds like they overpower the drums.. especially the bass drum.. I can barely hear a bass drum at all.. vocals are a little loud.. I like this tune.. the ride cymbal sounds like it has delay on it or too much reverb or something.. sounds weird.. singer has a good voice for this..

mindsmoke - good guitar riff.. way too much reverb on the drums.. more good arena vocals.. not crazy about the drummer.. he seems a little loose on both of these songs.. I really like that secondary vocal.. yeah the drummer sounds like he's having trouble.. beefy guitars.. I hate the way that reverb sounds on the high hat.. bass drum is very weak again..

both good songs but could benefit from less reverb and tighter drums.. also some more compression on the vocals..

good stuff Poo!

BTW, I'm Cygnus X-1.. thanks for checking out my tune..

Back