Long shot: Fostex X-26 repairs in Quebec...

Shepherd

Hello to all, especially Canadianaianais:

I've got an old X-26 that has been languishing in the basement for about five years (blushes in shame). I tooled around with it a lot in high school and university, but home recording has fallen by the wayside in recent years.

Well, I broke it out last month, and the tape speed is totally mental. It records and plays back, but I think the pitch control has spent the last five years stealing money from my wallet to score crack, because it's totally fried.

The question is, is it worthwhile hunting around for somebody to fix the sucker, or is it FUBAR? I've been messing around with the computer lately, so resurrecting the X-26 would be as a backup/complemental system, rather than for serious recording. Uh, as serious as recording ever gets on the X-26.

So...worth getting fixed, or would the price/usefulness ratio not be worth it? And can anyone recommend a repairer in the province of Quebec?

Thanks!

Why don't you check out the places that were the most likely resellers of this unit? I'm thinking of Steve's Music or Italmelody in Montreal for example. A senior salesperson who's been around for awhile might know of a local person who repairs Fostex multitrackers.

Those old X-26 are selling for average $50 (usa) on e-bay. It may cost you more than that to fix it. Nice little machine though. I bought mine about 15 yrs ago and used it right up to about 4 months ago when I upgraded to a MR-8.

Poutine,
Those machines are still worth hanging on to. One of the big bennifits of the cassette recorders is that you can record hours worth of material on tape. I still use mine for rehearsals. When I get a fix on an idea and go for the final take then I use the MR8.

You're right, FAST. I've been trying to do that part of the work on the MR8, but I miss just letting the tape roll while I play the song repeatedly, till it gets really solid and ready to record.

Back