Long, floppy...

Zetajazz44

I was in on the original group buy and got 2 of the HRM-10's... My thought was to try them on banjo...

I never did... A few days ago, I was messing around in the studio and saw the HRM-10's under my desk in their case, and thought I'd get them out and try one of them on guitar cab since that's what I was recording at the time... Man, did it some kind of sound awful! The higher notes on the guitar were OK I suppose, but anything on the lower 2 strings produced a distortion, and plenty of it, that I'd never heard before... I just put it back in the case and really hadn't thought any more of it until tonight... It dawned on me that this mic probably had ribbon sag like some of the mics in the later group buys... So I opened it up, and yes... It was long and floppy! Much more than I'd ever expected... I just thought it was interesting how much sag it actually had so I took this picture...

At any rate, I retensioned the ribbon "by eye"... Even though it's probably not 100% correct, I'm sure it'll sound much better than it did before..

HRM-10.jpg

Randy
Zetajazz44
Click HERE to Register for this Group Buy

man.....thats long.......that thing is for sure floppy....

man......that think is long and floppy....

At any rate, I retensioned the ribbon "by eye"... Even though it's probably not 100% correct, I'm sure it'll sound much better than it did before..[/URL]
and your picture is *before* you retensioned it by eye, right? Otherwise, I agree that it's probably not 100% correct :D

and your picture is *before* you retensioned it by eye, right? Otherwise, I agree that it's probably not 100% correct :D

Naw, that picture was AFTER I retensioned it! LOL! j/k

I didn't take any afterwards... I was just a bit shocked how loose this ribbon was... It wasn't just sagging, it was in an "S" shape...

I'm sure that some of you have seen a ribbon this loose, I just hadn't and was a bit surprised...

Randy
Zetajazz44
Click HERE to Register for the Musican's Workshop Group Buy

I'm sure that some of you have seen a ribbon this loose, I just hadn't and was a bit surprised...

More than once, and considering I've only opened up four ribbon mics in my life, that's saying something. :D

At least the corrugations aren't straightened. That one looks more like they just left it slack from the factory and expected it to be tensioned upon arrival.

Back