Logic Express?

Zorlee

Hi!
After this summer I'm probably going to buy a Macbook (2 ghz, 1 gb ram).
I new to recording, but I really want good results (or at least that I have the possibility to get good results, when I get better at mixing, mic placements etc.).
I need to get a recording software, because I really don't want to steal some off the internet. I want the real deal.
I was thinking about Logic Express. Do any of you have any experiences with this program?
I'm going to record my jazz trio, maybe some live band applications.. And I want to use some softsynths and stuff.
Will this program work well with the Macbook? Will I be able to mix and use a couple of plugins?

I'm open for everything! It's just that Logic Pro and that kind of stuff is just way too expensive for me, and Logic Express seemed to be a pretty nice bang for the buck.
But if it's not, please tell me!

Thank you guys for the help in advance! :)
Zorlee...

Perhaps it's because I'm so used to Protools, but I found the learning curve with Logic Express really steep. I'd bet it's a fine program once you get to know it though.
Good luck,

You might also consider Digital Performer. It has an easy learning curve, but it's a very powerful program. MOTU claims they'll have an Intel-native version by the end of Q2 (probably next month sometime).

Oh, and if you own just about any other audio/MIDI program, look into the competitive upgrade. I "upgraded" from Master Tracks Pro, if memory serves. Master Tracks Pro hasn't been usable on the Mac since Mac OS 8. :D

The new MacBooks come with iLife '06 - which has the latest GarageBand bundled with it. It's actually pretty good for a bundled piece of software. It's built on the Logic engine and if you like it - you can get Logic Express and seamlessly import your GarageBand projects into it.

I've been using Logic Express for about 4 months now (on a 500mhz G4), and I've never worked with a more solid, stable, efficient piece of software, ever. I've been using Sonar, and Cakewalk (on a PC) before that for a long time... I'll NEVER go back to recording on a PC - the headaches or drivers, DMAs, IRQs, and all that crap doesn't seem to rear it's head at all on my Mac - ever. I used to spend half of my time getting Windows, or the software to work properly, not anymore. PLUS - the bundled plugins in Logic are awesome!

Sorry... I didn't mean to get on a rant. :D

Thank you guys so much for your help! :)
Keep it comming, hehe!

Well, I have heard nothing but great things about Mac and music production!
I can't wait to start recording :)

I use Logic Pro 7.2 which is a very cool bit of kit. The learning curve is steep but once you get used to it, it is no real problem.

CSI do a series of "Cool School" tutorials (probably find them at Musiciansfriend). They are a bit dated (for Logic 6 I think) however if you are starting from scratch they will help. I have the noob one and it helped me get started.

IMHO garage band is OK but Logic just kicks the crap out of it.

yep they are nice however if you already have a pod and autotune they are more or less redundant.

Can you wangle an educational discount ?

If so Logic Pro becomes 500 bucks.

Would you believe me if I told you, I've been using this Logic Express 7 since 2007 maybe 2006. I have the original emagic logic control with it
and it's superb. My powermac g4 ha 2gig ram and a 450mhz dual processor.
I don't use no audio interface no more either(pci audophile 2496), I connect my Phonic mr 3243 mixer right into the line in and it's awesome!

Back