Logic enthusiast!!!!

baby britain

I am a Logic enthusiast. I think it is superior in many ways to Pro Tools. Has anybody else noticed that Pro Tools 8 is starting to look a lot like Logic 8? When it came out, the office dude at the studio I was interning at was all excited about being able to score and comp and sequence. I had my lap top on me and just popped open Logic. Everything he was excited about had already been available on the market for some time. I mean, come on! Pro Tools LE sux and isn't even compatible with Mac OSX half the time. Their hardware sux! Their plug-ins suck!

Pro Tools HD is more reliable for mixing because there is no fear of latency. However, I have mixed many projects in Logic and have never run into any major problems. (knock on wood) I use the Apogee Ensemble for my conversions and a few extra pre-amps. Took 2 minutes to connect it! Totally compatible and for the money it's probably the best AD/DA converter on the market. Beats the hell out of the Digidesign 003!

Pro Tools LE is getting to be a dinosaur and personally I don't want to support a company that makes you buy crappy hardware to use their OK software. Sure, Logic is exclusive to Mac users, but at least Macintosh offers great hardware for running great software. As well, by teaming up with companies like Apogee and Euphonix, I believe they have heeded the call for quality gear at a reasonable price. I'm willing to spend $2,000 on a good converter, but I'm not able to buy an HD rig. Hell, I'd rather improve my space and buy some nice equipment if I had $30K extra dollars laying around.

Preaching to the choir, my friend. :)

I don't exactly share the harsh feelings for PT - it definitely has its place in the pro audio world - but agree that Logic tends to add more bang for the buck. Like you, I am also using the Apogee hardware to move audio in & out of my Mac and find it extremely reliable. For those of use who like to work quickly and simply, it's hard to beat a software control panel embedded directly in your DAW software (granted, for Apogee users only).

I, also am a Logic user and enthusiast, however I wouldn't bash PT quite that much. PT's elastic audio is a great feature that Logic should adopt. The plug-ins for PT are actually really great (I'm referring to the bundles that come with most start up versions of PT).

As far as the hardware bashing, I wouldn't bash that too much. It's smart marketing (which, yes, screws over the consumer). The interfaces are high quality but pricey.

I much rather prefer Logic, but PT's is the industry standard for a reason...many reasons, in fact.

I do love logic, but i'm sure pro tools has its ups. I haven't tried it yet, and really would like to, but i'd have to buy a stupid interface. and yes pro tools 8 did seem to hold some close resemblances to logic.

Excellent point Baker. Elastic audio would be a very fine addition to Logic. As well, I like Beat Detective very much.

However, I don't like many of the basic plug-ins for LE... For example, the reverb is very tinny and synthetic sounding. As well, there is no comparing the delays. Delay designer is amazing! I find I don't even use reverb for many of my lead vocals. I can create the reflections I want using Logic's delay.

Again, I'm not trying to be too harsh on LE. My buddy recently had me accompany him to the music shop. He was wanting to do some basic recording and build some sketches for his album. For the money, I had him get the M-Box mini and a Digi MIDI controller. For him, that was the way to go I felt. Different horses for courses... (or however that expression goes...lol)

PT doesn't even come close to Logic Ver 5 the windows version.

Let me be a little sarcastic here without offending anyone ,please.
Using PT is like taking a leak on the floor,Anyone can do that!
Be a Hero,Use Logic,any version,its like taking a Sh#t on the ceiling,not everyone can do that.oh by the way,It sounds way much better.

i love logic. and no, i dont like that PT makes you buy their interface. and even if PT and Logic had the same capabilities, i would still go with logic. One because i use a Mac, two its extremely user friendly, and three its graphically very interesting to use.

Back