LoFi-Indi-Pop from Germany

Zille

Hello!
My name is Zille and I am a 26 years old wannabe-musician from Germany. I like to write freakish LoFi-Indie-Pop-Noise-Country-Psychedelic-Prog-Songs and pretend that it is music. It really took me a long time to register here, because I listened to many of the songs you guys put online and they sound like...WOW! My production-values pale in comparison to yours. But if you can stand crappy audio and can dig your way to the core of the songs that lie beneath a bazillion layers of concentrated incompetence...maybe you will like some of them...hopefully... :D

Here is one of my latest songs called "We are the huggy bunch". I would be very happy if you could give me some feedback and some mixing tips (or help).

~~~ ZILLE - WE ARE THE HUGGY BUNCH ~~~

We weighted all the pros and cons
And started to debate
And we got to the agreement
That we´ll use the word “mistake”
We just got stuck in the same muddle,
Were too desperate to be subtle
And allowed ourselves to let us slip away

Do we need this institution?
HELL NO! At least not me!
We don´t need a confirmation
To bark up the wrong tree
As long as we can bark as we please
As long as we can bark as loud as we please
Until we lose our voice, then we´ll just call it a day

When you go
It´s okay
You can really go away
I don´t mind if you´d go away
You can really go away

There´s no hidden agenda
We´re just longing for a cuddle
And there will be no consequences
That could cause us trouble
Every idiot throws up flowery words
Like they´re going out of style
And if you´re one of them
Please tell me, is it all worthwhile?

Oh we are the huggy bunch
Yeah, we are the huggy bunch
Weareweareweareweareweareweareweare
Weareweareweareweareweareweareweare the huggy bunch
Weareweareweareweareweareweareweare
Weareweareweareweareweareweareweare the huggy bunch

Thanks for listening!
Daniel

Reactions: XLR
Very nice rhythm guitar at :16, and also a good guitar lick at 1:16 and later.

I like the songwriting and arrangement overall. I'd shorten the intro, and start the song at :16. I'd leave out the instrument doing the high melodic line there (sounds like a Hohner melodica), and the ending spoken bit.

Vocal sounds good when it enters at :29, and I'm thinking the song's going to have a punk edge (which I think would suit it, really) but then soon it sounds like the vocal needs more rehearsal to come off convincingly. The softer parts get too mushy in pitch control and articulation. The louder, more aggressive vocal bits sound good.

Interesting music with lots of potential.

Last edited:
Good points from XLR...ditto for me there... I personally found the drums a bit "busy" at time - at the intro for example - might be my limited experience with this genre so.... I think the mix is pretty good overall; all the instuments and vocals are easy to distinguish and evenly ditributed. Songwriting is very good. You sell yourself short - this is as good a quality as a lot of the material I've heard on this forum...:cool:

Sounds pretty good. Like ido1957 said, don't be so down on yourself.

I'm new to this myself, so unless there's something that really sticks out at me, I don't really have anything to say. And nothing is glaring at me, sounds pretty good to me!

Hello and thank you for your comments! I´m glad you liked the song!

@ XLR
You are right...I will probably cut the gibberish at the end. At first I thought it was kind of funny but the more I listen to the song the more it begins to annoy me. But I will stick to the first 16 seconds of the song...I really like it when a song has a "false start" and slightly confuses people at the beginning.
My vocals will always be a bit shaky, I guess. I know I´m not the greatest singer and somehow I got used to it. But I also improved quite a bit in the last couple of years...so I´m on my way...maybe. :)

@ ido1957
The drums in this track were not meant to give the song a particular rhythm you could dance to...I merely thought of it as another instrumental layer that gives you the feeling that everything has a strange flow to it. I don´t know how to explain it better cause my English is a bit limited every now and then. :D

@ Supercreep & santiu

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your comments.

I also have another track in the pipeline and it would be great if you could give it a listen. But beware: This time around things get a little strange!

~~~ ZILLE - CONSTANT RAIN ~~~

I put my knowledge-trash inside
My garbage-can-like brain
And burn it down
Sparks
Flicker in the dark
Nothing can fill my heart
Back up again

And I´m in
For some constant rain
I´m prepared, I´ve got my yellow coat at hand
I can stand all this constant rain