LoFi Drums, Mellotron mixing tips??

moogmymellotron

hello all!

i had a few questions regarding a few ideas im working on.

Im recording a fairly "out there" record at the moment and im stuck figuring out how to finalize a drum sound. the sound capture to tape IS the sound i was after, however upon going into pro tools, i feel the sound loosens up. What would be a good way to crunch up the sound and have it smack again? The sound is somewhat lo fi, kinda mitch mitchell type sound, one room mic, one overhead, and close micked the kit as well. THE sound is in the room mic and overheads but somehow gets a little lost when in the box. any tips?

also, mellotrons... ive used a BUNCH of different methods for tracking and mixing trons. I feel ive run out of fresh new ideas for creating a WALL of TRON. anyone have any experience tracking a mellotron?

Overall the aesthetic of the project is very sharp and heavy. Heavy in the King crimson sense not...metallica. haha

THANK YOU:drunk:

also, mellotrons... ive used a BUNCH of different methods for tracking and mixing trons. I feel ive run out of fresh new ideas for creating a WALL of TRON. anyone have any experience tracking a mellotron?

Overall the aesthetic of the project is very sharp and heavy. Heavy in the King crimson sense
What sort of methods have you been using to get the wall of Tron ? And what mellotron sounds have you been using ? By the way, I'm one chapter from the end of this book and I have to say, it really is a brilliant book. if you haven't read it, I'd definitely recommend it.

ive done the whole sound on sound overdub thing for awhile. (personal fav)

Id record one mellotron, dub another on that track w a slightly different eq setting, mic placement. Different chord inversions, harmonies. Or a blend of the first sound w a second. Helps make a BIGGER tron recording.

repeat that for four tracks.

I usually record them out of a marshall halfstack w a mic about a a foot away. Ive been really digging a roomy sounding mellotron. any tips? thanks

btw. that book is awesome!:D

the sound capture to tape IS the sound i was after, however upon going into pro tools, i feel the sound loosens up. :

I have no idea how that would even be possible. 24bit digital gives you back what you put in. How are you transferring your files from tape to Protools???

I have no idea how that would even be possible. 24bit digital gives you back what you put in. How are you transferring your files from tape to Protools???
...eh...

Not yet it doesn't. Maybe someday. But something is lost without a doubt. It's very tiny, but it's enough to drive some guys nuts.

Anyway...could the answer possibly be "Don't go into the box"? Leave the drums on tape, do what you gotta' do in the box, and then dump those digi tracks out onto the tape to join the drums.

...eh...

Not yet it doesn't. Maybe someday. But something is lost without a doubt. It's very tiny, but it's enough to drive some guys nuts.

Anyway...could the answer possibly be "Don't go into the box"? Leave the drums on tape, do what you gotta' do in the box, and then dump those digi tracks out onto the tape to join the drums.

good idea! haha, ill give it a shot see if its workable for my situation

ive done the whole sound on sound overdub thing for awhile. (personal fav)

Id record one mellotron, dub another on that track w a slightly different eq setting, mic placement. Different chord inversions, harmonies. Or a blend of the first sound w a second. Helps make a BIGGER tron recording.

repeat that for four tracks.

I usually record them out of a marshall halfstack w a mic about a a foot away. Ive been really digging a roomy sounding mellotron. any tips? thanks

btw. that book is awesome!:D

From many of the guys that talk in the book, that's pretty much the way they got some of those classic tron sounds. I use M-TRON by GMedia and I like it. It's direct samples from all the tape banks on a series of mellotrons owned by this German enthusiast, complete with everything stopping after 8 seconds. Until I read Nick Awde's book, I didn't realize much of the sound was layered. I use the individual sounds and they have that spectral quality. I love the flute/bassoon sound, for example. The only one I remember layering were some of the choirs; mixing genders' "Ooohs" and "Aaaahs" is pretty effective.
But having read the book, I find myself thinking up all kind of mellotron parts now ! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help in terms of tips. Ask me again in two years time ! :D

hahaha! yea i know what you mean grim.

maybe what im looking for is less in the actual recording of the sound but more of the mixing and processing. for the style of music i play, its really trashy, lo fi, but BIG. one of the elements id want to retain the bigness factor are the mellotrons. ive tried several compression methods but nothing that thrills me yet? any secret compressing tips?? haha thanks again

Back