Loading windows on new computer-help!!!

blinddogblues

Sorry to ask this basic question but not being a computer whiz I need some help. I just picked up my new computer, a P4 with 512 megs DDRAM and 2 40 gig hard drives. I am going to load windows 98SE and I am having a problem. The guy who built the computer says he formatted one of the hard drives which he says is the F drive. (Why is this not the C drive?) I don't know how to get to it to load windows on. I don't know what the other hard drive is labeled but when I put the windows disk in, I tell it to boot from the CD rom. It then does some sort of bus scan and then tells me to put the disk in drive D or CD rom, which its already there and the whole thing just kind of goes in a circle. Bottom line is this, I have one formatted hard drive (F) and one unformatted hard drive (?) and I cannot load windows. Can anyone help?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

The first thing you have to do is get into the BIOS setup (maybe you've done this already), and check what disk (if any) disks the system is seeing, make sure it's seeing the CD drive. Then look for the boot sequence in there, and put the CD-ROM first.

As far as I can remember, Windows Setup will look after the rest, get back with more details if you can.

Nathan.

pappillonIrl, blinddogblues asked that question on my behalf. The computer builder formatted my harddrive on the "F" drive instead of the "C" or "D" drive. I cannot get access to the "F" drive to save my life. In other words, the prompt on the monitor screen is showing "D:\>" instead of "F:\>". How do I get to "F:\>?

Sounds like the Hard drive is on the wrong IDE controller, on the motherboard. try unplugging the hard drives and CD-ROM and switching them around. The Drive letters are designated to the drives by the order they are recieved on the IDE channels. Example 1 HD on IDE 0 (The Primary controller) will be Drive C, and the CD_ROM on IDE port 1 (Secondary) will be drive D. Add a second drive to IDE 0 and the second drive becomes D, and the CD-Rom becomes E. So you can see that F drive would occupy the last spot one IDE1. Make sure that the Hard drive you wan't to put Windows on is set to master (Jumpers on harddrive), and that it resides on Primary IDE Controller, set second hard drive to Slave on the same cable. Some Hard drives are set to cable select, which means that if 2 devices are on the same ribbon cable the plug they are plugged into determines which is master and which is slave. Try movin the plugs around again. Make sure that the CD-Roms are on the Secondary controller port.

Your setup should be:
PRIMARY MASTER - OS DRIVE
PRIMARY SLAVE - SECOND HARD DRIVE

SECONDARY MASTER - CD-ROM or CD-RW
SECONDARY SLAVE - ZIP DRIVE (Second Cd-ROM goes here if the secondary master is a CD-R)

This might seem confusing at first, but just open the computer up and look at it (Unplug from power first), you'll see what I'm talking about. This is actually really easy to do. When you restart the computer it will autamatically update which drive is assigned which letter.

Last Note:
Any hard drive that have been partitioned into seperate sections will have a drive designation for each Partition. And these are assigned in an alternating fashion back and forth between the master and slave until there are no partitions and then the lettering system will move to the next controller port.
So 2 Hard drives with 2 partitions would be HD1 C and E and HD2 D and F, then the CD-ROM would become G and ZIP Drive would become H.

Hope all of this is of some help to you. Good Luck!

If you have a pc that has win95/98 or good old DOS on it you can format a floppy disk ( get it to put the system files on too to make it bootable )...Copy the following files onto it, fdisk.exe & format.com. If you boot your new pc with this floppy in, it should boot to the a: drive.

run fdisk.exe from the a: drive, you can then display the disk & partition info ( option 4 from memory ).

You should then be able to blow away any existing partitions and set up your new drives any way you like ( read the instructions carefully ). It should then set your drive letters back to c,d etc.

Reboot again with the floppy in and run format.com...You can then format your hard disks and the install should work fine.

Just be sure to have a good look around inside fdisk before you kill any partitions....If they are new, blank drives tho, you shouldn't have a problem. When you do get your c drive partition figured out, ensure that you use the option to mark that disk/partition as active or you may have booting probs and have to go back in and do it again.

Clear as mud????? I'll check in again in a day or two, just reply if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Danglez

Back