Lo-Fi Garage Pop Collab

Hey everyone, thanks for you comments.... You guys are great!!!

I'm going to revisit the mix and Bring bass-master-C up a bit.... It is a tad low.... Christiaan rocks on the bass, and I definately want him to be heard..... It's really hard to make the bass punch through with this style of recording, cause the bass line follows basically what the rythm guitar is doing, and by the time you get the bass to jump out over the rythmn then it ends up being TOO loud...

I'm going to see what I can do with it.... The bass tracks Christiaan gave me sound great.... Nice tone...and Punchy.

I noticed the "phasing" on the cymbals too.... Good ear!.... I don't think it's phasing per se, since there was only one mic on the drums... But what I think happened was...I have been placing the Mic in front of the kit just in front of the bass drum, and rather than picking up the cymbals from the top like an overhead does, it's picking up the edge of the cymbal, and when the cymbal teeters up and down after a hit, it transfers in the mic in a strange way..

At least, thats what I *think* happened...

We should have another one up and 2-3 more days.....

Thanks for listening... Love you all!

Joe

Wow, what the hell is wrong with this bbs lately... I posted the above post, and when it appeared this is how it appeared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone, thanks for you comments....ana, guitar tone contrasts reminds me ar> to gga st!! />

crc=" br tar /fre e ehis ym guibnd pha>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hit refresh and then it appeared back to normal..... Sttttrrrrannnge eh! :confused:

VOXVENDOR said:
It's really hard to make the bass punch through with this style of recording, cause the bass line follows basically what the rythm guitar is doing
I guess I'll just have to be a bit more creative to be heard :D

However... That's not She Mail like... :cool:

Well i listened to happy place. It sounds like you got a loud mix but I MEAN LOUD MIX but you sacrificed some quality in there. I feel like in the distored guitar parts the whole thing starts to crumble up.

When you take that fuzz box guits out for the vocals it sounds ok again but when everything is crankin i think it's too much.

I'm glad to see a band formed from peep from the site, this is great. Is this our first all HR.com band?

hmm.. the "she-males"? uhm.. don'tcha want a more macho name like "Skeletor Terminators of the Universe" or something?

AVOID IT --

This has that signit-your "Joe" sound to it... esp that gtr/bass thing... dryer than the "VV" stuff... but way cool... great garage rock sounds.

HAPPY PLACE --

Weez-in ... she's a girl... she's a happy place... nice job guys... cool things about these songs are that you could do big productions on them and they'd still be cool

HEART SONG --

Kinda like the Pixies crossed with some Joy Division (without synths)... hey, this song's familiar... you did this once before, didn't you? Really cool... probably the most melodic of the three.

Those sucked eh? :p Phew :D Sucked the wind out of me... sucked me back into the chair... sucked me into inspiration... yep Joey... those sucked royal ;)

Nice job Christiaaaan & Cha/d/ndler!!

:D

VOXVENDOR said:
Hi, I'd like to introduce a new band on the bbs....

We are called THE SHE MAILS!

We are working on our first album, to be unleashed on the publics ears.

Simple sounds... ... Bare bone recording Techniques... Simple and Catchy songs...Everything is done in 1-3 takes......No editing or fancy punching in or any of that... One mic over the drums.

Anyways, thats our goal, and how we are going about it.

------------------------------------------
Bass- Christiaan
Guitar Solo in "Heart Song"-JR#97
Drums, Guitar, Singing- Voxvendor
------------------------------------------

Songs are here for your perusal.

Let us know what you think.
http://www.voxvendor.com/theshemails

PS> I know your going to be jealous of our fancy webpage :p

First off I love the name, might have a better double meaning without a prefix of THE though.

I listened to "Heart Song" LOVE this! it's catchy and instantly gets under your skin. If you're going for the minimalist sound you've nailed it. Are you guys British by any chance? I'm instantly reminded of Teenage Fanclub or maybe The LAs.

Only question i have is....how do you play drums, guitar and sing vocals without punching in? Regardless, it's a great sound and one that many bands seem to be making a breakthrough with these days.

Alec

Re: Re: Re: Lo-Fi Garage Pop Collab

christiaan said:
Voxvendor: Canada
JR#97: USA
Christiaan: The Netherlands

The Netherlandsis in Europe, Canadiand are all Scottish by default (who'd wanna be French, right?) and all the good music in the USA happened AFTER the beatles invasion

British by default :D

Groovy, I know Rock Stars!

You got to show me how you mic'ed the drums at Voxfest1

Good songs.

The drums sound a bit out of place though. Maybe to "clean" sounding vs the guitar parts. Try using a Radio Shack mic for a more true lo-fi experience. :D

Listened to Heart Song.

yikes, too much empty space at the start, intentional?

Love the sound of this. I'd maybe consider bringing the guitars down just a teensy, weensy bit.

I had a preconceived notion of what I wanted to hear and this was pretty much on the money. Can't miss with the big garage sound.

Cool song, sounded like there is still some arranging to be done.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lo-Fi Garage Pop Collab

LemonTree said:
The Netherlandsis in Europe, Canadiand are all Scottish by default (who'd wanna be French, right?) and all the good music in the USA happened AFTER the beatles invasion

British by default :D

LMAO!!!

Margret Thatcher Produced.... :D:D:D

Back