Live Wireless Mic

drpez

I am looking for a high quality wireless mic unit that I can use at gigs but I have no idea where to start. I think Sennheiser makes one but I'm not sure what are considered the better models. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I personally like the Shure SLX or ULX beta 87. It all depend which microphone is work best for your voice.

Kevin

Shure's new PGX Series is pretty awesome. Go with either the SM58, Beta 58, or the sm86. Our band has been using them and they are sweet.

THE standard in high end wireless is still the Shure U series, but they are pricey. If you want the best, that has been it for some time. This is changing, though, as more and more companies start using the Audio-Technica 5000 series. You will not be unhappy with either, though many guys I know and respect are saying the mics on the 5000 sound a bit better.

I, for certain, would NEVER spec anything less on a rider, if I had to use wireless mics. (They are such a pain in the ass.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

If you need to stay under $1000 per channel I would not look at anything besides Shure wireless systems. Mostly because of the stable transmitters and recievers, pretty decent sound quality, and the durability. Personally, I would look into the Shure UC series with a standard 58 for starters. I would reccomend against the PG series due to the plastic casings. If you are going to be hauling it around, inevitably it will have a minor accident. Plastic will often break on the first incident, while metal may live through a dozen small incidents. Its amazing how frustrating a broken battery cover or belt clip can be when dealing with wireless mics.

Thanks guys, I'd been leaning toward the Shure U-Series but I wanted to make sure that I was on the right track. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

drpez said:
Thanks guys, I'd been leaning toward the Shure U-Series but I wanted to make sure that I was on the right track. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

The U series is great, but do give a try to the AT 5000 series.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've had pretty good luck with Sennheiser.

Better yet, the receiver is in a steel case and the rig is still made in the USA!!

Don't fall for the cheap stuff, though - it can be like a bad walkie talkie - an expensive paperweight. The Sennheiser UHF dual frequency system is about $500 per channel. Pretty good value.

Back